We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman traveling alone in Sicily

Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Woman traveling alone in Sicily

Hello,

Could you please let me know what you think about safety for a woman traveling alone in Sicily ?

If you have any advice that you could share, I would appreciate it, any areas that I should avoid. About the language, is English spoken only in hotels, restaurants, etc ?

Thank you,

Masaryk

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

Sicily is a big heterogenous place.

The west is different from the east and big towns like Palermo and Trapani are different from small ones like Marsala and Castellammare del Golfo.

We spent 14 days in Western sicily (2 women).

We had a rental car and drove to sites (a lot of ruins) but based ourselves out of Castellammare del Golfo. Less English was spoken than further norht, but we got by. My daughter is actually pretty good in Italian.

I am not sure what you mean by safety and where in Sicliy you are asking about? The creepiest thing that happened was in Trapani stopped at traffic lights, twice people tried the doors on our car but it was locked. Anotgehr time a vendor tired to push merchandise into the top of our open window while we were stopped at a traffic light to get us to pay for it. My daughter swiftly rolled up the window.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 04:41
Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Marsala
Marsala
Sicily, Italy
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

This sounds scary. It happened twice!

If it wasn't at a traffic light, if it had been somewhere remote, what do you think those two men would have done? Do you think they would have broken your windows and rob you? What were the looks on their faces?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

I didn't look. I looked straight ahead when I heard the rattling on the door handle. We sped away as fast as we could when the light changed.

We had heard about purses being snatched in palermo, and I think that this was what they had hoped for. Lucky the doors were locked and there would have been no money or credit cards in the purse (money belt). I had not expected this in trapani. This was the only place where this happened.

We we driving around trying to find an apt that we had rented.

Erice I think was my favorite tgown we visited. We spent 2 days there. It is very beautiful, has great restaurants, places to park you car, and the shopping was fantastic (and they took our credit cards everywhere. The views from up on the mountain Erice is on, are awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

This earlier thread discusses this topic.....

Safety in Sicily for a lone woman traveler:

tripadvisor.com/…9268529

It's not uncommon for foreigners to try to sell flowers at traffic lights, especially at major junctions - Not unsafe at all.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,622 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

You get a lot of that here in UK in London ,especially , immigrants selling flowers and washing windscreens whether you want it or not, and can get very pushy when you tell them to go, annoying more than scarey,

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

"You get a lot of that here in UK in London ,especially , immigrants selling flowers and washing windscreens whether you want it or not, and can get very pushy when you tell them to go, annoying more than scarey,"

I have gotten it in big North American cities also, but usually there is some reason why I had to go there, and it was not completely my choice.

WHen I have been in London, I ididn't need a car to get around and I took the Tube or the train to the desired sites.

In my home city of Detroit I used to get people trying my door at the stop lights and this led to trying not going there to the particular location in Central Detroit if at all possible, or going on the freeway as much as possible to avoid having to stop at a traffic lights.

As much as one tries to relegate this to merely annoying, it is still scarey. Maybe I am just over-reacting, but I have seen some slightly scarey situations can evolve into some pretty scarey debacles rapidly.

Edited: 02 April 2010, 14:03
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
568 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

I didn't experience any problems in Palermo or surrounding villages/towns. . I guess its different for everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

I experienced it just today - Just ignore and not a problem at all!!!!!!!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Woman traveling alone in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 05:17