We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top destination in sicily

Athens, Greece
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
top destination in sicily

hello!!! Me and 2 friends are planning to go to sicily during august for a week. Could anyone advise me on which place to stay? We want to combine great beaches, good food and nightlife. I ve heard good stuff for taormina but i m not sure!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top destination in sicily

Taormina would be great.... beautiful views from the town - and bus station for great trips around the area - on your own, or with tour groups if you prefer. Trips to Etna, up the volcano... or on the railway around the volcano (great fun, like travelling on a train in a spaghetti western !) - trips to Alcantara where you can go paddling in the river and admire the insect and plant life... walk/bus up to Castelmola above Taormina and bus or walk down a mule path. Down to the beach on the cable car (or stay down there at Giardini Naxos or Letojanni) and eat out on the beach - or go on the beach shuttlebuses - all public transport is airconditioned and cheap. You would catch a plane to Catania and then there is an airport bus that goes straight to Taormina or Giardini Naxos. The town itself has a wonderful atmosphere - a bit like Capri (lots of visitors, art works all over the place for sale....) and has steps up and down each side of the main high street... and side roads.... old monumental buildings, greco/roman ruins and an amphitheatre.... art and theatre / music etc.

something for everyone.... and lovely food.

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top destination in sicily

Bear in mind that Sicily is a lot closer to Africa than Northern Italy ! So it's going to be very, very hot in August.... you may find yourself diving into the insides of bars and restaurants, looking for the airconditioning to cool you down - instead of sitting outside in the sun ! August is also the month when everyone in Italy - all the native Italians, take their summer holiday...and a lot of them head to Sicily and the beaches....so you will find yourself surrounded by Italians and tourists on the beach (not just the usual tourists) and in the town. That will be the case anywhere you go in Italy - it's just August. So if you can, choose June or September instead !

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,960 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: top destination in sicily

Welcome to Sicily nant_didi!

Where is your best flight and arriving airport in Sicily? – Catania, Palermo or Trapani?

August is the worse month to visit Sicily, not only because of heat for surely Athens is also very hot, but because all Italians holiday in August, especially mid-August around Ferragosta.

During this peak season, Sicily’s is very crowded, prices are at their highest, and services are stretched.

frommers.com/destinations/…0771020006.html

This earlier thread discusses Sicily’s top destinations - The Michelin Green Guide ranks destinations, and may help you gauge which destinations would be the most significant to see.

tripadvisor.com/…15245981

And for some of Sicily’s top beach resorts, consider Taormina, San Vito Lo Capo, Favignana, Cefalù, Marina di Ragusa, Capo d'Orlando.....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3504…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3671…

Best beaches in Sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2326…

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Athens, Greece
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: top destination in sicily

thank you all for your help! Unfortunately august is the only time we can go oon vacations this year..so we will try to make the most of it! We are thinking of renting a car to have a tour of sicily too! we will see...it depends on the budget!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,960 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: top destination in sicily

Will you arrive in Catania, Palermo, or Trapani?

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
6. Re: top destination in sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 07:24