We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October itinerary - lots of help please

UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
October itinerary - lots of help please

Hello,

Am planning about 7-9 days in Sicily in mid October. Particularly keen to see Taormina, Mt Etna, Catania, Siracusa and Ragusa region. If there was time I might also like to do Cefalu and possibly Agrigento but I'm okay if it doesnt fit. I'd like a mix of seeing things - but also time to eat/relax etc! Other than Western sicily (which will have to be another time!) is there anywhere else I should cover or remove?

Can you please recommend a good way to string these places into an itinerary and timings for each stop? I'd be keen to stay 3 (or at least 2) nights at each stop, and do day trips rather than move each night.

Havent decided on whether to drive or take public transport - recommendations? There will be 3-4 of us. I'm leaning towards driving but also dont want it to be stressful/scary!

Finally, I'm travellng from London and have not yet booked flights, but a quick search shows many options so can prob arrange in/out of whatever suits best for airports.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October itinerary - lots of help please

Hi Lisa,

fly BA direct to Catania:

britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb…

Day 1) Rent a car and drive south to Noto (3 nights)

Day 2) Visit Ragusa Ibla and Modica

Day 3) Visit Siracusa, Greek Theatre, Catacombs, Ortigia

Day 4) Drive to airport and leave the car + bus to Taormina (4 nights)

Day 7) Taormina, Greek-roman Theatre, Castelmola

Day 8) Bus to visit Catania

Day 9) Bus to airport from Taormina

Sal

Edited: 02 August 2010, 17:59
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October itinerary - lots of help please

Welcome to Sicily nowhereman111!

This website is always current and accurate on flights to Sicily!

thinksicily.com/travel-to-and-around-sicily.…

You might consider a combination of public transport and driving….

With your intended itinerary, you could arrive and depart in Catania, but if you’d like to include Agrigento and you find an accommodating flight schedule, you could also arrive in Palermo and depart from Catania.

There are direct buses from the airport in Palermo to Agrigento….

From the Airport to Agrigento/Porto Empedocle and vice versa: Autolinee Sal tel. 0922 401360

www.gesap.it/index2.php3?op=212&lang=en

http://www.autolineesal.it/

Or you could base in Palermo on arrival for 2 nights, day trip to Agrigento the following morning by bus, then take the train to Cefalù and hire the car in Cefalù.

Certainly Agrigento deserves a visit over Cefalù, and if anything were cut from your itinerary, it would be Cefalù, mainly because of logistics, but Agrigento could also be visited on your Western Sicily trip, or even as a group bus excursion from Taormina.

Let’s assume Agrigento stays in your itinerary and you find an early flight to Palermo – Hire the car at the airport and drive directly to Agrigento to spend your first night. See the temples the following morning.

Drive onward to Ragusa for 2 nights; 3 nights in Siracusa, seeing Noto along the way; and 3 nights in Taormina with a day excursion to Mount Etna.

If you were to arrive and depart from Catania’s airport, spend 3 nights in Taormina on arrival with an excursion to Mount Etna. You could add another night in Taormina and take an excursion to Agrigento or even Cefalù; then drive onward to Ragusa for 2 nights; and end with 3 nights in Siracusa.

Begin by checking your flight availability. Then decide if you'd like to include Agrigento and/or Cefalù.

And also decide if you would hire a car.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October itinerary - lots of help please

To clarify…

<<Drive onward to Ragusa for 2 nights; 3 nights in Siracusa, seeing Noto along the way; and 3 nights in Taormina with a day excursion to Mount Etna.>>

You could easily take a day trip on your own to Mount Etna, not an excursion. You might consider holding the car for your visit to Mount Etna, especially if you’d like to take the long trek on Etna to the highest craters with an alpine guide.

<<You could add another night in Taormina and take an excursion to Agrigento or even Cefalù;>>

Here I truly meant a group bus excursion from Taormina to Agrigento or Cefalù.

Vagabonda

4. Re: October itinerary - lots of help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 09:05