We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving and departing Sicily airports.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving and departing Sicily airports.

Have got flights organized and am almost ready to book when I get a few questions sorted.

Plan is to fly into Catania arriving at 11.15 and continue straight on to Taormina by either bus or transfer. Will pick up car when leaving although this will tie us down visiting Mt Etna and taking weather into account. Maybe a day tour might be more adaptable.

My main query is leaving Palermo. The flights to Rome I am being offered are either 7.30am or or 12.20. One`s a bit early, the other a bit late.

I can see from past threads the bus starts early but am not sure what time we`d need to get to the airport for a local flight and how long does it take to get to the airport.

Thanks for any help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving and departing Sicily airports.

Ciao hugo64,

If you’d like to visit Etna from Taormina on your own, why not hire the car during your time in Taormina?

The Autolinee Prestia e Comandè between Palermo and the airport is very reliable – Expect the journey to take 50 minutes.

www.prestiaecomande.it/index.php…

You should always check with your carrier, but Palermo to Rome is a domestic flight – Locals will tell you to arrive and hour prior. Airport Information will tell you to arrive two hours prior. And when I checked with Meridiana just this week, the airline agent told me 1-1,5- hours prior.

You might find this thread interesting.

Early Airport departure:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k3859…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving and departing Sicily airports.

Thanks for the speedy response Vagabonda. Was trying to avoid the dreaded parking problem by collecting the car only to leave town. Not much point in paying for hire and parking when we`re not using it.

Have stored the parking thread from you, bon_voyage and Vapaula in my saved trips folder. (A great boon on TA) Sicily has 300 posts saved so far! Eventually I`ll be able to weed them out!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving and departing Sicily airports.

Ciao hugo64,

Parking can be difficult in Taormina, but it also depends when you visit during the year.

There are limited public spaces. White lines are for residents or hotel guests with permits. Blue lines are paid parking for all cars. One-way streets and a pedestrian centre add to the challenge.

Some hotels offer (free) parking in Taormina, but other hotels charge for parking.

Taormina has parking stations at either end of end of town.

www.gotaormina.com/en/taormina/parking.html

HOW TO GET THERE AND ABOUT PARKING IN TAORMINA:

hotelvillaschuler.com/how_to_get_there_and_a…

If you’d like to visit Etna on your own, you might hire a car for the day from California – California delivers its cars to your hotel for free and also parks its own cars for free.

http://www.californiarentcar.net/

Kind Regards,

Vagabonda

4. Re: Arriving and departing Sicily airports.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 06:56