We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

NY
13 posts
Save Topic
The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

I want to go to Sicily - My husband has family in Caltabellotta that he's never met. My ancestors came from Sciacca, an I would love to see that town. Of cause do the sites, an eat at the real food places of Sicily - NO Tourist food for me - I want real cannoli's home made ricotta off the beaten trail dinning, shopping. I'd like to see both East & West coast of Sicily, But Have NO idea what town to stay in

I also feel - It maybe the one an only time I ever go to Italy An must See Rome - Even if it's just for The Sistine chapel an Ruins.

I would love at lest a 14 day stay. Figuring I'd lose 2 days in traveling from the USA.

It will be 2 families , A total of 9 people. The youngest child is 15yrs. old an the others are 18 - 20 yrs old.

Is it possible to do this trip for $3800 pp with international airfare? If we take 3 triple rooms would that help us with the prices?

So far Kensington Tours gave me a price of 50,000 WITHOUT airfare. But it was a 16 day trip. with tours an breakfast, an a few dinners. WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for us.

Thinking that if we cut the stay to 12-14 days Is it possible I could get the trip down to 3800 USD per -person...

We want to see Sicily yet we want to relax with family too..

Should We just book our flights an hotel an forget about those touring packages?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

Yes, most people on this site do their own planning and booking.

A lot depends on your airfares. You will need to get prices for your dates and see how much you have left per person.

For example, if fares are $1000 approx that leaves each person €142/night. Now we can average a good room for €100/night per couple, which leaves the same amount per couple for sightseeing, eating etc, which is not unreasonable. You will also have internal transport and would probably do best by train or bus rather than car hire. I think you would have to be frugal but you could do it.

However, you must do your sums, find out prices for accommodation. If you can stay with family for part of the trip that would help out.

How big are the villages? Do they have accommodation such as you seek?

You could take triples if they are available but they are less common.

I suggest you plan out an itinerary together, search on the internet for airfares for your dates, search where you want to stay for accommodation and price it, decide what internal flights you will need including to Rome and draw up a budget. I am sure it will be cheaper than what you have been quoted.

Searching sites like this might start you off. Your two towns seem to be very close together.

…indettaglio.it/eng/…caltabellotta.html

Then bring it back to TA for tweaking and discussion.

I am sure Vagabonda will have many suggestions for you as well

Happy planning

Lynn

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

Do your own trip planning. $3800 per person is doable. Days/nights in Rome will cost more than those in Sicily.

1. Look on sites like Expedia and Travelocity to find the best mutiple-city airfare: into Palermo or Catania and out of Rome, but book directly with the transatlantic airline. Then look at www.whichbudget.com for budget flights from Catania or Palermo to Rome. Book the flight directly with the airline, *after* you have a final Sicily itinerary, and be aware of their luggage restrictions.

2. Look at www.venere.com for hotels, at least in Rome. You can choose neighborhood and budget. Hotels in Sicily are much cheaper, and there is also inexpensive lodging in B&Bs and agriturismos. Many have triple rooms.

3. To move nine people around in Sicily, you will have to rent a mini-van or two cars. If you rent cars, make sure everyone packs lightly; trunks will not hold four or five large suitcases. Look at autoeurope.com for rates. Bus transportation in Sicily might be cheaper, but it's time-consuming.

4. Look at Sicily guidebooks and choose one that suits your budget and interests. Decide what you would like to see there. Then come back and tell us how many days you have and what you want to see. Vagabonda and others can tell you whether it's doable or not.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k1912…

Are you still planning to go in July? It's 'peak' season and the airfares will be your biggest obstacle in trying to budget your trip. I think Meridian flies during the summer from NY to Palermo or Catania. In Rome, the rates for a hotel will be higher also. Hope you can get it worked out, sounds wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

Ciao NyShiney,

For your specifics, you would do better to design your holiday on your own and not take a tour.

You should be able to accomplish this in budget with careful planning, especially since you’d like local destinations, accommodations and prefer to eat at trattorie and osterie.

Check this site for reliable and accurate flight information to Sicily.

thinksicily.com/…flights

Eurofly Meridiana runs direct seasonal flights from JFK to Palermo.

Avoid driving in Palermo – The airport in Palermo is west of the city. Hire a minivan – Minivans go up to 9 passengers. You would not require a special licence. Check the rental with AutoEuropeUK.

This recent thread discusses driving in Sicily - #13.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4151…

The southwestern area of Sicily around Scicca has very few towns with train stations. Sicilians generally avoid travel by train. Buses are faster, convenient, clean, and reliable, have air-conditioning, and buses reach areas not served by trains.

You could easily stay in or around Sciacca or Caltabellotta – Consider an agriturismo or self-catering.

Check your earlier thread for suggestions.

Going Crazy Scaiacca/Caltabellotta:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k1912…

But possibly also consider something like Villa Mimosa.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g665937-d668107…

You could see many attractions from a base around Sciacca – Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples, Selinunte, Scala dei Turchi….

Then drive east and base in Southeastern Sicily for another local experience and authentic cuisine.

southeast sicily vs. northwest sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3646…

So many towns, so little time...:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3792…

Agriturismo in south east sicily suitable for family of 6?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k360…

Return the car at the airport in Catania and fly to Rome. See Rome at the end of your holiday to better position you for your departing flight home.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Selinunte
Selinunte
682 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Scala
Scala
Amalfi Coast, Italy
NY
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

What a great reply - Thanks - I was on here 3 years ago trying to make this trip back then. I havent been here to tripadvisor since then an forgot some of the tips I was given - U are so helpfulllllllll....

Let me ask this - If $3800 USD pp is low budget what wouod you say is the average

What do you think should be the average budget for a person for this trip?

Thanks So much

6. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 11:29
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

Prego NyShiney,

There are too many variable factors to give you a definite response. Check the big ticket items first – The airlines and your accommodations. Then consider transportation, food and attractions.

In my estimation, with the kind of travel you are anticipating, $3800 per person should be ample.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

NY
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

I'm flexible on which month or days, My thoughts were my Son Graduates High school so this would be his gift ( mine too :-)) They Graduate June 5th - So I was looking at anytime after that - An trying to find the cheaper time to go with airfare for the summer. I think early June maybe better -

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

Prego NyShiney,

You can locate your previous threads by clicking on your screen name under your avatar on the left.

You could also report the PM you received this morning as unfriendly - Click on “Report SPAM” and then also block the sender.

Of course you could do more with additional monies, but first set your airline tickets and check for accommodations. Book your auto rental. The rest (food, petrol, admission fees) can be adjusted as you go.

June is a good month too visit, one of the best months to visit Sicily – July and especially August are peak season. Gor for June if possible!!

frommers.com/destinations/…0771020006.html

Vagabonda

United States
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The prices I've gotten so far R crazy - Any idea what to do

NyShiney,

I second Vagabonda's recommendation of reporting your Unfriendly post. It helps everyone when bad behavior is stopped.

Have a great time in Sicily. With Vagabonda's excellent help you'll have an amazing time. I know I did.

TAB