We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Buongiorno!

We will be driving to Northwest Sicily on Good Friday and leaving Sicily from the Palermo airport at 5pm on Easter Sunday. These are our last two days in Sicily at the end of an 8 day trip.

Here's the problem: We want to take advantage of being in Sicily for Easter and see one of the Easter week religious events.

Which would be best to do?:

1. go to Trapani or Erice for the Good Friday procession and stay near Scopello or Erice for the two nights before departure? OR

2.stay perhaps at Home from Home in Bolognetta, or some place near there, for the two nights and attend the Dance of the Devils on Easter Sunday morning in Prizzi?

All with knowledge of these traditions, especially Vagabonda, I would value your opinion greatly. I would like to see at least one of them since this is what being in Sicily at Easter is all about!! But which one???

Grazie Mille!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Apologies to Petrock for adding an extra question here but hoping knowledgeable people can fill in some of our gaps.

In Trapani on Good Friday is there a good place to stand? We always go to the 3.00 ceremony at home but assume we won`t be able to get into the church for starters! Do other churches have the 3.00 ceremony?

What about Palm Sunday? Do any towns have special ceremonies on this day?

We will be in Ragusa on this day and will probably just go to Mass at the Cathedral.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Hard questions!

Suggestions anyone?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Ciao petrockNewYork,

Trapani-Erice on Good Friday would be my pick – Trapani’s festivities also continue into Saturday and you would have two venues to enjoy, as well as an easier transport to Palermo’s airport.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Ciao hugo64,

Erice is tiny – The ceremonies begin in church and you should have no problem entering the church. You might also stand directly outside. The procession slowly winds throughout Erice’s mediaeval alleys and you can go ahead of the procession and see the procession the entire day. No matter where you are in town, you can hear the music – It’s wonderful!

Enna would be my pick for Palm Sunday!

Enna on Palm Sunday:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2554…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Edited: 26 January 2011, 12:31
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Many thanks Vagabonda. Don`t know what we`d do without you!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Prego hugo64 - Easter is a glorious time to visit Sicily and experience all the local traditions and customs. And the countryside will be ablaze with wildflowers in April!

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Dear Vagabonda,

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Because of your advice,we have decided to stay in Erice and are looking forward to Good Friday so much! We also are taking your advice about the whole trip - four nights in Catania area, two in Agrigento and two in Erice. I know just from reading your posts that it's not enough time, though. Are you interested in a summary when we get back?

Grazie Mille!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

Prego petrockNewYork – My pleasure!

Erice’s Good Friday celebrations are very special – Be sure to also enjoy the Easter food specialties in Erice's shops and pasticcerie.

Thank you for offering to write a trip report - I would very much appreciate your trip report. Trip reports are always so helpful to future travellers.

Wishing you a wonderful Easter in Sicily.....

Vagabonda

9. Re: Which Easter ritual to see? Trapani or Prizzi or other???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 07:17