We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

I am trying to plan both accommodations and things to do for our remaining 6 days in Sicily, April 15-21. I am thinking southeast and have been advised not to waste time traveling. Any suggestions for a base and day trips? Thanks in advance.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

Ciao tracycfbrown,

Siracusa, Ragusa, and Modica would be your top picks in Sicily’s southeast.

If you were to base in Southeastern Sicily, you would be able to explore Catania, Siracusa, Pantalica, Palazzolo Acreide, Cavagrande Cassibile, the Vendicari Reserve, the Baroque Towns (Ragusa, Noto, Modica, Scicli), Donnafugata, Piazza Armerina, (possibly) the Villa Romana del Casale, Morgantina, Aidone, Caltagirone, Agrigento, the Valley of the Temples, Enna…..

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

The Michelin Green Guide ranks destinations, and may help you gauge which destinations would be the most significant to see.

This earlier thread offers information about Sicily with links to online guidebooks and photos.

Sicily.How many days?:

tripadvisor.com/…29842676

Vagabonda

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

Grazie, Vagabonda. I am taking all your advice to heart.

I am sure I will have more questions before I am finished!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

Prego tracycfbrown,

You might split your time between Siracusa and Ragusa-Modica - Visit Noto from Siracusa.

Visit wineries, and even Agrigento from Ragusa.

You could also consider an agriturismo located between Agrigento and Ragusa. Azienda Mandranova produces top Sicilian olive oil, and it's a wonderful local experience with delicious regional cuisine served for dinner. The villa is stunning and the hosts are freindly and gracious.

http://www.mandranova.it/

mrandmrssmith.com/us/luxury-hotels/azienda-a…

Or consider a charming B&B in Modica - Casa Talía....

http://www.casatalia.it/

www.i-escape.com/hotel.php?hotel_key=SI025

travelandleisure.com/articles/…6

mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/…

Vagabonda

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

I am getting so excited! I really love the idea of staying at an agriturismo and the one located between Agrigento and Ragusa looks like it would just the type of experience that makes my heart sing.

I'm off to read the other links you provided, Vagbonda. Thank you so much.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

For sure Mandranova thrusts you into the heart of Sicilian family life. Silvia and Giuseppe graciously share their beautiful villa, and the villa very much feels like home. Mandranova offer the opportunity to temporarily live life as a local, a genuine experience that balances the rush of checking off of sites.

Vagabonda

7. Re: 12 days in Sicily; Taormina for 6. Where to go for other 6?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2012, 10:16