We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Traveling from Palermo to Naples on an overnight ferry. It seems like the SNAV might be the preferable choice? Does anyone know the difference between a 4 person cabin and a 4 person family cabin?

Most importantly, the particular date, March 24, 2011 is slightly more expensive than the surrounding dates and at one time on the SNAV website they mentioned "Races that day." Does all this imply something special about the trip, an extra crowd, an undesirable surprise?

Any and all insights would be appreciated!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

This video, taken by a helicopter of the Palermo Carabinieri, shows the Tirrenia ferry VINCENZO FLORIO dead in the water and burning on the morning of May 29, 2009. A fire had broken out in the ship's garage at 3:16 a.m. while 15 miles from Ustica Island. At the end of the video, the SNAV ferry SARDEGNA (which departs from Naples for Palermo around the same time and therefore was in the same general vicinity) is shown racing at full speed to rescue the 561 passengers and crew on the stricken Tirrenia ship. While there were no serious injuries reported, 29 passengers ended up in the hospital for smoke inhalation. The incident, the cause of which has not yet been officially determined, was quite serious. The Florio was towed to Palermo, repaired, and pressed back into service between Naples and Palermo, where it remains to this day.

www.youtube.com/watch…

If you read Italian, here is a summary of the incident (and the previous, even more serious fire which broke out on the same ship in 2004 and left the vessel listing dangerously to one side because of all the water used to extinguish the fire):

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincenzo_Florio_(traghetto)

corriere.it/cronache/09_maggio_29/traghetto_…

Edited: 14 February 2011, 02:13
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Morbido47 was on the Vincanzo Florio during the fire….

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k3801…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Ciao scotchiedog,

I've asked around and there should be nothing on concern for you on March 24th!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Thank you both for all the information and research!!

Vagabonda--I also have some specific questions about particular hotels in Siracusa. Is it appropriate to ask you on this forum?

Thanks again,

Scotchiedog

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

I suggest that you open a new thread, titled "Hotels in Siracusa". Or, just research the topic on this forum. There are lots of postings on topic.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Prego scotchiedog,

Absolutely scotchiedog - Glad to assist with hotels in Siracusa, here or on a new thread.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Thank you Vagabonda,

We need either connecting rooms (2 adults, 2 children) or a family suite for 4 in Siracusa for 2 nights in late March. I am having some trouble finding a perfect solution. I think that the Mercure Prometeo has connecting rooms but wonder if the hotel is in an ideal location and has "flavor" of a hotel we would like to have in Siricusa . Are you familiar with that hotel and do you know of any great places that have set-ups for families of 4?

Appreciate your help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Ciao scotchiedog,

What location and "flavour" of a hotel would you like?

Ancient Ortigia is the most scenic area or Siracusa. Shuttles run from Ortigia to Siracusa’s train and bus stations on the mainland.

The Mercure Prometeo isn’t located on Ortigia. The Mercure Prometeo is located on Siracusa’s mainland. Although convenient for the archaeological park, there’s nothing ‘magical’ about Mercure Prometeo’s location, but the modern Mercure Prometeo is well reviewed.

You would have several options on Ortigia.

The characteristic Hotel Gutkowski located along Ortigia’s seafront, the Lungomare di Levante. The Hotel Gutkowski can accommodate families. Rather basic, Hotel Gutkowski has an Italian feel, a great location, views of the sea, and it’s a good value.

http://www.guthotel.it/

Albergo Domus Mariae is also located along the seafront on Ortigia – Albergo Domus Mariae is reasonably priced with rooms to accommodate families.

http://www.domusmariae1.it/hotel.html

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187891-d236056…

The often overlooked Aurora Hotel has a great location on the tip of Ortigia with sea views and large rooms.

http://www.siracusahotel.com/

And then there are apartments….

Residence Alla Giudecca’s two bedroom apartments include hotel service with breakfast.

allagiudecca.it/english/…index.php

B&B il Cortiletto can also accommodate a family in an apartment, but also B&B – Good location, helpful staff, views….

http://www.ilcortiletto.com/index.html

Just steps from the sea near the Fonte Aretusa, Aretusa Vacanze’s apartments can accommodate families. Breakfast is included.

http://www.aretusavacanze.com/italiano/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187891-d483423…

Villas near Siracusa:

tripadvisor.com/…14322294

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Wonderful!! Thanks AGAIN Vagabonda! Tons of hard work, much appreciated.

So, I have to ask, what is it with the places in Siracusa? They all offer you a price for rooms and ask you to email them your credit card information. I don't suspect that they are thiefs, I just don't make a habit of emailing credit card information on non-secure internet. When I try to book either on the hotel company's secure websites or a secondary site such as Venere.com with a secure website, the hotel agents are angry and raise prices or bow out of the transactions. Do they make more money booking directly? Is it appropriate to email credit card info in Italy / Sicily? I am not trying to offend anyone.

Thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Naples

Prego scotchiedog – My pleasure!

It’s typical to ask for your credit card information to guarantee your room and reservation – Usually charges don’t apply until your arrival. Some request a deposit.

You might find this interesting….

Villa Sogno - How to book !!

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Yes, hotels do make more money booking directly. Hotels pay fees to online booking agents. Cash still rules supreme in Sicily and some accommodations discount for payment in cash. Credit card fees are very expensive for hotels.

You might call and provide the number by phone, but for those hotels requiring a signature, fax the information.

Many hotels have secure sites. If you’re not comfortable, move on…..

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda