We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily in January/February

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily in January/February

we're thinking of spending 2 weeks in Sicily this Winter. I have looked at weather data and the temps in general look fine. I was interested inhering from people who have been there during that time frame. Thanks

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily in January/February

If you looked at the weather data, you know more or less what to expect. Mild temperatures at the sea level, but can be really wet and stormy at times. In the interior and on the mountains you can have snow, generally above 1000 meters of altitude, but sometimes even around 300-500 meters.

No snow at the sea level since 1999...a rare event! in case of strong southern winds (scirocco) you can reach 20 celsius even in winter.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily in January/February

biondo, thanks for the info. Some of the places we plan to visit are Palermo, Erice, Agrigento, Cefalu and Taormina.We're interested in museums, art, food and Roman/Greek architecture (aka "ruins"). Also hiking, weather permitting. I'm thinking Erice may be a touch cold. Other suggestions for places to visit?

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily in January/February

Yes, Erice will be colder , and very often foggy, especially in winter, it's 750 mts high, no snow, being close to the sea. It's a beautiful place and worth a visit in any case but on a clear day will be much better.

I suggest to add Siracusa and surroundings in your itinerary, with 2 weeks you can dedicate a few days to south eastern Sicily, really worth the trip!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily in January/February

Welcome to Sicily dl!

Winter is low season and the rainy season, and it may feel colder than you’re expecting it to feel.

frommers.com/destinations/…0771020006.html

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187886-s208/Sicily:I…

The low season is a good time to visit cities, and enjoy cultural, culinary, and historical pursuits.

Many hotels and restaurants close, especially near beach resort areas, and attractions and outdoor venues reduce schedules. Outdoor venues close early with the onset of darkness.

Many of Taormina’s hotels and restaurants close…..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3965…

Expect many of Taormina's popular trattorie to be closed in January (Trattoria da Nino, Al Saraceno, Osteria Nero d’Avola, Ristorante Licchio’s….).

Avoid driving the Madonie and Nebrodi because of possible snow, and even towns like Enna could be problematic – You may enjoy reading peterandanna’s trip report.

Sicily out of season.:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k1602…

Help with agenda Sicily Jan 08:

tripadvisor.com/…9660041

Erice occasionally has a dusting of snow in January or February, but the snow melts quickly and doesn’t stay around for long.

Yes, add Siracusa….

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily in January/February

I spent 2weeks in western Sicliy in Feb 2010. We styed in Castellammare del Golfo and visited Trapani, Mozia, Erice, Marsala, Zingaro nature Preserve, Segesta, Selenunte, and Agrigento.

. Erice temperature was no different thant the other places we stayed: we had a rental car the whole time

Pictures

Castellammare

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

--

Marsala beache

--

Mozia ruins

--

Zingaro-great for hiking

--

Selinunte

--

Segesta

--

erice

--

Agrigento

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily in January/February

Because of its elevation, Erice is typically cooler, windier, and even snowier than the surrounding area, and it wouldn't be unusual to find Erice shrouded in fog....

trekearth.com/gallery/…photo964948.htm

trekearth.com/gallery/…photo654966.htm

Vagabonda

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily in January/February

Vagabonda, thanks so much for all the info and web sites. We need to start really digging to decide where to go.

upaling, thanks for the sites. What was the weather like when u were there?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily in January/February

Prego dl,

First decide on your flights and then decide on your itinerary.

“Cold” is relative – If you come from a cold weather climate, you would think Sicily "warm" in winter, but it can be rainy, cold, chilly, and snowy depending on your destinations.

Click on the town and hover over the icons to retrieve 'average' values.

weather2travel.com/whentotravel/…

Vagabonda

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily in January/February

Yes, we live in the NE of the US, so we have cold and often very snowy winters. We r happy to have temps in the 50's even 40's. We will try to play it by ear to some degree and travel where the weather is the best. I'm sure I will be back with lots more comfortable.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sicily in January/February

But it’s not just a matter of the weather – Sicily has some very "seasonal" destinations and during the low season, things really shut down and areas become ghost towns…..

Focus on local towns that become more "local" during the low season - Ragusa, Modica, Piazza Armerina....

Winter is a great time to experience "real" Sicily.....

Vagabonda