We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Sicily

Birmingham, England
6 posts
Save Topic
West Sicily

Hello

I will be on honeymoon in Sicily in June and want to stay in Western Sicily, I only have three nights, can anyone recommend where we should base ourselves?

Thanks very much!

Lynn

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
466 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Sicily

Hi Lynnifer,

Erice is fabulous! Fly into Palermo and head West. The town is a medieval mountaintop fortess and the views are incredible.

Congratulations,

Travelpatty

Birmingham, England
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: West Sicily

Thank you Patty!

Do you know how long it would take me to get from Erice to Agrigento and then on to Sciracusa by car

Lynn

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
466 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Sicily

Lynn,

If I remember correctly (we were there 2 yrs. ago) it took about 2 1/2 Hrs. to get to Agrigento. We did not go on to Siracusa but I would estimate about another 3 Hrs. without any stops. On our way to Agrigento we stopped at Selinute, an abandoned ancient Greek city, which we thoroughly enjoyed visiting; I would recommend it. We also stopped at an awesome beach about 20 miles or so west of Agrigento. I can't remember the name but I will check my notes and let you know. We were there in November and it was still warm enough to swim but the best part was that we had the beach entirely to ourselves!

Sicily is awesome; I know you will enjoy it!

Travelpatty

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Sicily

I completely agree. Erice is absolutely spectacular (if you like medieval stuff, strolling on twisty lanes, and few tourists!). We stayed there three nights last year and wanted to move there we loved it so much.

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
466 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Sicily

Lynn,

The beach is at Eraclea Minoa; a beautiful crescent shaped strip. Although we had it to ourselves you might find crowds in June but I think it is worth checking out.

Travelpatty