We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

I've wanted to travel to Sicily for years and I've almost convinced the other half...but where to base ourselves is the £1million question!

We looked at Taormina but central location + pool = pricey and I'm not sure the hotels are nice enough (nice of course but value for money?) compared with other Italian hotels I've stayed in. Happy to be convinced though!

We'd be going for 9 nights (middle of Sept or start of Oct)

Want to spend up to £100 ish a night

Would want to get about on public transport (rather than hiring a car)

Must have a swimming pool

Must be central (i.e. close to restaurants)

Prefer non chain hotels/ones with character but don't mind "new" and "shiny" as long as it's classy.

Definitely want to visit Mt Etna but where else?

Would like to be near a sandy beach if possible.

Would like a room with a good balcony or terrace

Would like a place where we can afford a room with a view.

We're early 30's, going for our main holiday. I like "seeing things", he likes relaxing so I can see us going on maybe 3 trips in the 9 nights.

This forum looks amazingly helpful so wondered if anyone could help? Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,884 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Welcome to Sicily England_and_Beyond!

Taormina is Sicily’s chicest and most expensive resort town.

Because of the hill town landscape, not too many hotels in Taormina have pools - Villa Carlotta, The Ashbee Park Hotel, Hotel Imperiale, Metropole Taormina Maison D’Hôtes, Villa Belvedere, Grand Hotel Timeo, Hotel Sirius, Grand Hotel San Pietro, Grande Albergo Monte Tauro, Ariston, Excelsior Palace Hotel, Villa Riis, Hotel Diodoro, Grand Hotel Miramare, Hotel Méditerranée, Andromaco Palace Hotel, Villa Kristina, and Villa Angela and Hotel Soleado above town or Villa Sant'Andrea and Villa Sirina below town.

The hotels with pools in Taormina’s centre are lovely, but pricey, and 100.00 GBP (113.739 EUR) is limiting, not only in Taormina, but throughout much of Sicily for a hotel with a central location, pool, terraces, and views.

But you might consider Villa Costanza Bellavista – Pool, an easy walk to Taormina’s centre, good value…

http://www.apartments-taormina.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187892-d149008…

All the beaches are below Taormina – Take the funivia, walk, or take a bus.

www.gotaormina.com/en/beaches/beaches.html

There are many possible excursions from Taormina - Mount Etna, Castelmola, Giardini-Naxos, Savoca, Forza d'Agrò, Messina, the Aeolian Islands, Acireale, Aci Trezza, Aci Castello, Catania, Siracusa, and even Agrigento and the Valley of the Temples (by excursion).

You might consider a tour or a group bus excursion.

noemaviaggi.com/escursioni/escursioni.php…

www.sat-group.it/excursion_en.asp?cod=summer

Vagabonda

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Brilliant thanks Vagabonda!

Apart from Taormina, are there any other towns I should consider which provide beaches, transport links etc but don't come with the price tag? It looks like even if I could afford the hotels, the rest of my stay there might be a bit pricey! I'd like to be East coast so not too far from Etna but not sure what the others are like. Would you mind recommending some other towns/resorts I could consider please?

Many thanks!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

England_and_,

We stayed in Giardini Naxo, just below Taormina and loved it. Lovely beach, lots of restaurants, Mt. Etna there in the background. We stayed in the Hilton. I know you said no chains, but it is not your average Hilton. Before it took on that brand, it had been something else. If I remember correctly, we paid 100 euro a night (early April) and they upgraded us to a room with a balcony overlooking the beach, pool and sea. Lovely!

In addition, there are several restaurants within walking distance, including two across the street that we really liked, and the stop for the the bus to Taormina is about a block away. That bus leaves every half hour or so and the trip is about 30 minutes (if I remember correctly).

We saw lots of other hotels along the "boardwalk" and close to it. I'm sure Vagabond can make several recommendations.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Thanks "Jack"! The prices look so much more affordable and with bus stops nearby that could really be a great alternative. Much appreciated!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,884 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Giardini Naxos and Letojanni are less expensive alternatives to Taormina, and many of the group bus excursions also depart from both these towns as well as Taormina.

The Giardini Tourist Information is very helpful and the website lists accommodations and restaurants.

http://www.strgiardini.it/

www.strgiardini.it/_/en/accommodation.html

strgiardini.it/_/…25-ristoranti.html

You would also find many reasonably priced private lidi if your hotel didn't offer one.

Lido Sayonara:

www.sayonarabeachclub.it/spiaggia.php?l=en

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Thanks Vagabonda! I'll take a look at Letojanni too as Giardini Naxos already looks loads more reasonable than Taormina.

Just checking (might be a silly question) but will the weather be good enough to sunbathe 1st-11th October? Thanks!

Edited: 24 July 2011, 21:12
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,884 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

Prego England_and_Beyond,

Both Giardini and Letojanni are more reasonably priced than Taormina. Giardini is a very popular beach resort town, but Letojanni is also worth a look.

You might appreciate reading archwaygunner’s excellent trip report describing Letojanni.

Carmen Appartments :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g227662-i5608-k423…

Generally you would enjoy sunbathing and even swimming in early October.

It depends on the year - There have been some years with swimming to November, but there have also been years with swimming ending the first week in October. There’s just no predicting.

Usually swimming is possible through October, and although October 2008 was quite nice, October 2007 and 2009 were bad for swimming. Early October 2010 brought a late summer, but by mid-October there was rain, and though the week after nicely recouped with temperatures around 22 Celsius, the swim season had ended.

Vagabonda

Edited: 24 July 2011, 21:20
8. Re: Planning a Sept/Oct trip to Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 23:20