We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City to stay.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
City to stay.

Visiting Sicily by car this summer.

Looking for a good location/city to be based in.

Any suggestions?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City to stay.

Welcome to Sicily PaulineBelgium!

Where will you arrive and depart Sicily?

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City to stay.

Paline's previous post reads: "We would visit Sicily in July, arrive in Palermo and rend a car. I was wondering if someone could advice us what to see, what city(ies) to stay in. I would like stay in 2 hotels, 3 maximum and take daytrips with the car. So what city should we be based in?"

Sicily is rather large...not like visiting say Tuscany or Umbria. How long will your visit be? In my opinion, 10-14 days will be needed to tour the entire island...even with a car. But if anyone can help you arrange the trip...it would be Vagabonda!

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: City to stay.

Grazie mille MoltoBeneItaly e Buona Pasqua!!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5304…

Certainly not Palermo if you plan to hire a car on arrival, but you might take the bus from Palermo’s airport to the city and then return to the airport to hire the car on your departure from Palermo, or you may hire the car on arrival, and then return the car at the airport, and spend some time in Palermo at the end of your holiday.

Although Palermo is very hot in summer, Palermo hosts La Festa di Santa Rosalia, so depending on your travel dates, you may enjoy staying in Palermo a few days.

tripadvisor.com/…39073872

Will you also depart from Palermo?

How long will you visit?

Do you intend a beach holiday, historical destinations????

This earlier thread discusses potential bases in Western Sicily.

Where to go in Sicily?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2186…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City to stay.

Thank you very much for your response!

I would arrive in Palermo the 16th of July and stay in Sicily untill the 31st of July and then leave from Palermo again.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: City to stay.

Prego PaulineBelgium,

With two weeks, you might opt to spend one week based in Eastern Sicily, and one week based in Western Sicily – Are you interested in doing that, or would you prefer to stay in Western Sicily your entire time?

What time would you arrive and depart in Palermo?

An early arrival would allow some time to travel a distance from the airport. A late arrival would require a location nearer the airport. A late departure would permit a distance from the airport, but an early departure would require proximity to the airport.

And finally, what are your interests - Cities, seeing the sights, enjoying the beach, visiting wineries???

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City to stay.

I would rather spend one week based in Western Sicily and one week in Eastern Sicily.

I love learning everything about a new culture so sightseeing and visiting several cities. Also, as this is a summer vacation, I would love spending a day or two at the beach.

Thank you so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: City to stay.

Will you arrive early in the day so you can drive onward to Eastern Sicily on arrival?

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City to stay.

Yes, I'll arrive pretty early.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City to stay.

Castellammare del Gofo is a 30 min fron the Palermo airport and has great connections to A29 autostada that can used for touring western Sicily.

it is the red flame on this google amp

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Many of the Castellammare hotels like Al Madrig or Cala Marina offer parking. Driving in town is not stressful. There are plenty of good restaurants

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
10. Re: City to stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:42