We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

Hi!

I don't know if I'll receive many responses to this but my girlfriend and I are headed to Sicily (among other places) for about 9 days in May with bases in Castellamare del Golfo in the West, and Syracuse in the East, and with a travel day stop over in Agrigento (we'll have a car).

We're interested in scenery, history, and the 'real' Sicily (and great relatively cheap food obviously!). I'm also an amateur photographer.

My question is: Were there any things that you regret doing (seeing too much Baroque architecture/too many similar ruins) or not doing (hiking Etna)? I know this is a very subjective question, but figured it might help us in the future....or not. :)

At any rate, thank you in advance for your time and we're extremely excited to experience Sicily!

Dave

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

Hi davep763,

Expectations don't always match reality, and there have been negative comments about ruin-fatigue (Agrigento, Selinunte, and Segesta); baroque-fatigue (Noto, Modica, and Ragusa); crowds in August; touristy Taormina; prices in Taormina; poor road signage; difficulty driving in smaller towns and larger cities; difficulty parking; difficulty with GPS; difficulty with public transport connections; the mid-day closing inconvenience; meal times, especially the late dinner time.....

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

My regret - not staying longer. Going back for my third time this summer.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

I regret for not going to La Gazza Ladra in Modica. I'd planned, I'd studied the menu, but it was pouring, so I didn't go. I should have!

I do not regret dining at Oinos, La Regina Lucia, and Le Vin dell'Assassin.

I regret for not staying up and waiting for the band to start playing at 11 pm at Lipari.

No, I do not regret for not hiking Etna nor Stromboli.

I do not regret seeing 'too much" Baroque.

I regret for not watching Montalbano before I went to Sicily.

I do not regret taking a ride from a stranger to get to Savoca.

I do not regret seeing Dario Fo's production of Il Barbiere di Siviglia. I'll be talking about it for the rest of my life.

Vagabonda, how's that for a trip report? :-)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

Dave - very few, really! In no particular order, but with the most enduring, perhaps, saved for the PS?

Not having gone back for ages, and then choosing a damp and cloudy April for our most recent visit!

Spending too long in Agrigento on that occasion, and not showing our friend Palermo, Monreale etc.

That we let the guidebooks deter us from a stay in Catania, but we did then enjoy nearby Acitrezza.

Not having had enough Italian for a proper conversation with the old rais, when seated next to him for dinner in Favignana, and not photographing his hands - the most enormous and powerful I've ever seen.

Still in two minds about not having gone out on the matanza boats when there one May - an opportunity we're unlikely to have again.

Generally though, we had a great time - every time! But perhaps the secret is to not try to squeeze in too much?

Peter

PS... Photographic regrets:

Not having taken a good "after" shot of the restored duomo in Noto!

Being so cheap, back in film days, as to come home with only 600 or so halfway decent transparencies from the five weeks of our first three trips. Although it contains none from our overnight in Castellamare, you'll find a selection of those taken in places that we DID enjoy here....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/sicilygen

Finally, I regret never having used the remainder of that 5-pack of B&W slide film!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

My only regret is that I waited so long to visit Sicily. I was there for 2 weeks and saw a lot and hope to return someday. There are many places I didn't get a chance to see and would love to come back.

As far as "ruin fatigue", I know some people have the attitude you've seen one you've seen them all but I happen to fall into the category that it's never too much and I absolutely think the ruins I visited in Sicily just blew me away (and although I love Greece there is no comparison).

What's so great about Sicily is there is such a variety of sights to see that if you balance them, you won't feel like you're concentrating on one area too much.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

Well I think that the people who whinge about most of the things that Vagabonda mentions are better off staying home in Brisbane or Chicago or Bristol or wherever. Then they can have the shops open as they are used to, the driving conditions identical to home and speak their preferred English with their preferred accent.

My main regret was being sent by the cousins in Sicily to see their "wonderful " new shopping centre at Misterbianco. And to find it a clone of the shopping mall ten minutes away from home in Australia, with many of the same chain stores. I have to admit it was not filled with so many overweight people as our local Westfield, but it was depressing to see how globalism is reducing the cultural differences that travellers so enjoy.

7. Re: For those that have been to Sicily, any regrets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:42