We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Has anyone rented a villa through gosicily.com? Any experiences?

ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

I used them for my recent holiday to Sicily in May and found Roberto very good when booking. He was very helpful with finding somewhere (as I didn't want anywhere with a balcony as it was dangerous for the kids). He is a really nice guy. We did have some small issues regarding our first house (Brezza Marina) it was supposed to be near a shop etc and it wasn't (we really did need a car) but he apologized profusely about this and was to check with his agent about it. As you can read by my other posts we did have huge problems with our apartment in Cefalu (Santa Barbara) and unfortunately GoSicily were uncontactable - there were having problems with their phone lines. When I returned we had a long e-mail conversation too and fro and some mis-understandings on Roberto's part but in the end everything was sorted and I was very very happy with the outcome. Would I use them again Definitely. He is a really nice guy (I can tell this by his mails and telephone manner) and he genuinely wants his clients to be happy. Hope this helps

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Thank you for your answer! A couple of more... Did you get the address of the apartment/villa after you paid the deposit + the final payment? How did you get the keys? Whom did you meet when you arrived ? Did they speak English?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Be very careful Kay425!

There is no partita IVA as required by Italian law posted on the website.

This company will say they are a UK company, but probably don’t file a tax return in the UK, take all their money in euros ,and don't file a tax return in Italy.

They are in violation of Italian law, and that can be a problem for a renter if the GdF shuts them down.

is there a Governing body in Sicily; ref private rentals:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k383…

It’s important to select a rental that has been advertised for a number of years, and has reviews written by previous guests over a long period of time. And it's important to select a rental that has support on the ground in Sicily.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Also check ATOL....

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=27

www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx…

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Just butting in here to say that no matter how satisfactory the eventual outcome, as the poster says, the phrase "[the agenc] was uncontactable" is a huge red flag. IMHO, if you are stuck somewhere uninhabitable or worse, it doesn't really matter how sincere your contact was.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Isn't that the truth?!

I concur completely ItalophileNJ!! And what recourse would you have with an illegal rental if there were a serious issue?

Vagabonda

Otley, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Hi There,

I am one of the company directors of gosicily.com. We are a UK based company registered in the UK with Companies House and up to date with all our tax obligations in the UK. We are not an Italian company .

It was very unfortunate that when sbw123 ( see above post) did have some issues, we were not contactable for a few days as British Telecom had messed up our phone line and Broadband big time which caused us severe disruption and we had to move our office to our home whilst this was getting sorted. We did resolve matters as best as we can, and I must say the majority of our customers are satisfied as we put customer service before big profits- and by the way you can check that by looking at our accounts on the Companies House website which are available to the public for view.

Roberto is Sicilian and we travel to Sicily from the UK several times a year to meet up with our on the ground partners there. Why are we not based in Sicily you may ask? The economic and bureaucratic climate there is very different to the UK and you will find that many holiday rental businesses are registered out of Italy in countries where small businesses are supported.

I hope this resolves any queries about our legal and tax position as well as our sincere wish that people do get the best out of their holiday when they book with us.

Kind regards

Pamela Bono

Otley, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Sorry, I forgot to add that our company trading name is Arteutile Ltd which is registered with Companies House and also the name of the business bank account. We offer customers the choice of paying in euros or UK pounds, whatever works out best for them but we have to pay the holiday home owners in euros.

We have been trading as a holiday rental company for several years now.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 11:01
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

Thank you for resolving queries about your legal and tax position Arteutile, but you’ve made a strong case for exactly why a local company on the ground in Sicily should be considered over a company not located on the ground in Sicily.

Vagabonda

Otley, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gosicily.com - any experiences?

I don't agree with you Vagabonda, as I said we have on the ground partners with offices in Sicily who meet and greet our customers when they arrive and who are on hand to help with any issues that may arise or help out if they can. What more do you think is needed?