We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

Hi! We're looking to visit Florio and Donna Fugata because they are so close to each other. Do you think it's feasible to visit Pellegrino as well? Also, I would love to get to the Planeta winery - Ulmo but it is quite far from Florio and Donna Fugata. About 1.5 hours. Vagabonda, if you have any suggestions on what we can do, I'd love to hear. Will it be too much to travel all the way to ulmo?

I know a lot of tourists try to see too much in at once in Sicily not realizing how far places are and then taking into account, traffic, etc. To avoid being rushed around on vacation, right now we're planning one day in Favignana and 1 day in Lo Zingaro/San Vito. Then, we have 1 day for Marsala and I'm thinking we can spend that afternoon in Erice. Thoughts? We can reserve a wine tasting at 10 and 1130 in Marsala.. eat lunch.. and then head up towards Erice for the afternoon. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable to you. Also, the day we arrive in Trapani, it will already be 16:00. Do you suggest we spend the rest of that afternoon just walking around the city of Trapani? It will be late in the day to do anything else, correct?

Thank you!

Salina Ecogastronomica
Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Marco De Bartoli - Bukkuram
Wineries & Vineyards, Wine Tours & Tastings
Sicily Activities
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Cultural Tours
Feudo Ramaddini
Wineries & Vineyards, Wine Tours & Tastings
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

Hi jlblock1122,

Yes, enjoy Trapani on arrival.

16.00 is not late – Everything will be re-opening after the mid-day closing at 16.00.

If the weather’s good, you might also free up some time later in your visit by heading up to Erice for sunset and dinner on arrival.

Allocate half a day for Erice whenever you decide to visit.

Your plan for the morning in Marsala and the afternoon in Erice maximises your time, and it’s a very good and efficient plan.

Whether you visit a third cantine in Marsala will depend on the tours and schedules at the cantine – Contact via email for schedules and book in advance.

Ulmo is a completely different experience than the cantine in Marsala – Ulmo is the vineyard, not just a cantine, and you can enjoy lunch in addition to tasting. Ulmo is a wonderful experience, and you would easily spend 3 hours at Ulmo. If you were to see Erice on arrival, you could divide this day between Marsala and Ulmo.

Do you plan to see Segesta??

Vagabonda

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

This is extremely helpful, Vagabonda. I'm getting down to the final stages of planning! We're renting the car from Taormina to drive across the island to Trapani. We figured it was easier than catching 3 buses w/ luggage and cheaper than hiring a driver for 350 eur. So, if we leave Taormina at 11 hopefully we'll get to our hotel in Trapani by 16:00. You bring up a good point about going to Erice once we arrive... is it ideal to have a driver to take us there vs other means of transportation? The driver would probably be able to show us around.. If we got to Erice by 18:00, you don't think its too late? Would you recommend eating dinner in Erice or back in Trapani?

We're not going to Segesta because we are already planning Erice, Favignana, San Vito, Lo Zingaro, and Marsala (and then maybe Ulmo). I think it'll be too much in too little time if we go to Segesta. Do you Agree?

So..1 day in Favignana, 1 day in San Vito and Lo Zingaro.. Then, the last full day can be for Marsala. I made a reservation at Donna Fugata for 10:00 and then 11:00 at Florio which is supposedly very close. Florio only had an 11:00 or 15:30 for English speaking tasting and the 11:00 works better.. If it's highly recommended that we visit the Planeta Ulmo vineyard, perhaps we should do that after Florio instead of Erice.... in which case we would see Erice the first day we arrive (at 18:00).... I think 2 cantines (donna fugata, florio) is perfect especially if we plan on going to Ulmo that afternoon.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions on this itinerary.. much appreciated!!!

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

Enjoy Erice on your own – You absolutely don’t need a driver for Erice.

Just enjoy wandering Erice’s mediaeval alleys and poking into its churches and shops – Enjoy the pasticcerie, the ceramica, Barzar del Miele (local products), the castle, churches, the tappeto ericino (woven rugs)....

Mount Erice Sicily: (and subsequent linked threads)

tripadvisor.com/…34984061

Take Trapani’s ATM (Azienda Trasporti e Mobilità Trapani) Linea 21 or Linea 23 from TERMINAL P.le Papa Giovanni Paolo II (Capolinea) to Casa Santa’s Via G.B. Fardella at the stazione di valle, and then take the funivia up to Erice.

http://www.funiviaerice.it/

Erice Trapani:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k537…

You could also take the AST bus from Trapani to Erice.

http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

Trapani/Erice (via Valderice)�

aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/opencms/opencms…

But won't you still have the car on arrival? You could simply drive from Trapani up to Erice. Don't depend on GPS - Follow roadsigns instead.

Roads to Erice:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194757-i2944-k374…

There are many excellent restaurants and trattorie in Trapani, so possibly use your time to explore Erice and enjoy a late dinner in Trapani, especially after Erice’s pasticcerie.

What a pity to skip Segesta, even for a quick visit – Possibly spend half a day at the beach in San Vito Lo Capo (this is solely a beach resort town, nothing else) and possibly enter Lo Zingaro from Scopello, and then you could take a look at Segesta.

Yes, two cantine is perfect, especially if you plan to go to Ulmo, but you would have to arrive at Ulmo in time for lunch. if you don't go to Ulmo, see Segesta.

Vagabonda

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

Great! Good point about the car.. we have it until 11:00 the next day... so, we could drive to Erice. i am just nervous about it! I guess we can check into hotel, settle in, then drive ourselves to Erice.. enjoy a few light snacks/pasticcerie and then drive back to Trapani.. and have a late dinner (21:30/22:00).

You would suggest seeing Segesta on the way to San Vito/Lo Zingaro? I can ask Michelangelo about that.

Ulmo has a tasting a tasting at 11am or 3pm. We could go to Florio/Donna Fugata then have lunch near Ulmo or in Marsala and then do the 3pm tasting at Ulmo. What do you think? Ulmo is definitely far away from Marsala, do you think it will be worth the trek over? i hear great things about the vineyard.... just want to make sure we're using our time wisely.

The other idea is to take the 11am tasting at Ulmo (first one), have lunch, then go towards Marsala and do a 3:30 tasting at Florio and a 5pm tasting at Donna Fugata. You think one order is better than the other?

Thank you again :)

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

now that i'm looking at ulmo on the map, i feel like its too much to spend our last full day driving 1.5 hours from Marsala to Ulmo... we should just do the two cantine and go back to Trapani..

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

Prego jlblock1122,

It’s not difficult to drive to Erice – The signs from Trapani or Valderice are clearly posted. Don’t depend on GPS – Use the signage.

There are switchbacks, but the roads are not dangerous – Consider that buses take these roads.

If you feel Ulmo is too much on your last day, skip Ulmo, or your could switch your days around, but there’s lots to see nearer Trapani. You might then see Segesta.

Segesta would be a detour if heading to San Vito Lo Capo – San Vito Lo Capo is Lo Zingaro’s northern terminus. Scopello is Lo Zingaro’s southern terminus. If you were to enter Lo Zingaro from the south around Scopello, you could combine Lo Zingaro with Segesta.

If you decide to switch days and go to Ulmo, do Ulmo first, and then visit the cantine in Marsala.

Your days will be full and rewarding with what you have planned – Enjoy!

Vagabonda

7. Re: Marsala - How many wineries is realistic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:41