We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Adventure" tours of Mt. Etna

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
397 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
"Adventure" tours of Mt. Etna

Since someone posted regarding "private tours" of Etna several weeks ago, I've been looking into the various companies who promise an 'off-the-beaten-track' tour. Lots of them out there and quite expensive. Recently I saw: "Currently (July 2012), the summit craters are closed for access and excursions are limited to the area beneath 3100 m asl." As the typical tour seems to go to 2900m (relatively cheaply) can anyone advise if the additional expense is warranted. Can someone also recommend a company?

Frankly, just as soon stay on the "beaten trail" for 25 euro if one doesn't see much of anything more off the trail.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Adventure" tours of Mt. Etna

Excursions have only been going as high as 2900 m.

Vagabonda

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
397 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Adventure" tours of Mt. Etna

Terribly disappointing but guess I can drown my sorrows at some of the wineries! The great thing about planning a trip to Sicily, everything is a win-win!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Adventure" tours of Mt. Etna

Not to be disappointed - Etna, the craters, and the views are fabulous!

The funivia and jeep would take you to the base of the summit at 2900 m – You could then trek with a Società Cooperativa Gruppo Guide Alpine Etna Sud alpine guide to 3000 m.

funiviaetna.com/versione_inglese/impianti.ht…

http://www.etnaguide.com/

And then enjoy the wineries! :-)

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

4. Re: "Adventure" tours of Mt. Etna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:16