We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is driving forbidden?

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
418 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Where is driving forbidden?

Are there online maps available of Siracusa, Ortigia, Catania, Trapani, etc. that clearly show the areas where one cannot take a car? Do you know if GPS maps identify these areas? Can you tell me what the signs look like/what they say so we can avoid these areas. As you can see, I'm a little paranoid about stumbling into places where I don't belong!

Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

GPS does not identify ZTL zones – Note the sign....

aci.it/fileadmin/…Bus-taxy.pdf

…siracusa.it/Mobilit%C3%A0_e_Trasporti/ztl/i…

Vagabonda

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
418 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. We are staying at La Via Della Giudecca. Would you advise to proceed directly to the public parking and then carry our luggage to the hotel? (There isn't much and wouldn't be difficult.) It doesn't look like we would be allowed to drive anywhere near the hotel otherwise.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

Request that the B&B notify the authorities of your arrival, and then you would be permitted to enter the ZTL to drop off your luggage. Email the B&B and receive written confirmation that they have notified the authorities. The Vigili Urbani would allow you to enter the ZTL with your booking confirmation.

You could then park at Talete after dropping off your luggage.

But if there isn’t too much luggage and it wouldn’t be difficult, you could park at Talete and then walk to the B&B.

Vagabonda

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

Beware the red circle! My husband ignored my cries of 'we can't drive here' some years ago in Salerno, it took about a year for the notice to arrive via the Car Hire Company but it came: He takes more care now.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

Yes, there's a fee from the car hire company for passing your information along to the authorities, and then the fine.

Vagabonda

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
418 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

Terrific info. We will probably take the safe route and park and walk. It won't be the first time they've seen folks hauling backpacks or a small suitcase.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

That’s probably the least stressful plan until you learn Ortigia’s lie of the land ellasahar!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Where is driving forbidden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 05:15