We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus options Palermo to Monreale

Woodridge
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bus options Palermo to Monreale

I read warnings about pickpockets on line 389 between Monreale and Indipendenza stop in Palermo. Is the AST bus from Palermo to Monreale any safer? If I take the AST bus, what is the name of the stop in Monreale closest to the Cathedral? - Via A. Moro, Via Venere or via della Repubblica? I appreciate any information you can give me. I know that whatever bus I take I need to have my ticket validated.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

Perhaps, but still take exceptional precautions on the lines running from Palermo to Monreale – These lines are heavily frequented by tourists. The 389 is more direct – Take AST to the terminus at via della Repubblica.

Vagabonda

Woodridge
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

Vagabonda,

Thank you so much for all the advice you've given me since last November, in planning this trip to Sicily.

I'll take the information you gave about being cautious on all buses and then make a decision which one to go on.

Do you know how much a taxi would be one way from Palermo to Monreale?

Thank you again for helping me.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

Prego jsk5763 – It’s been my pleasure!

AMAT 389 is really the most convenient bus – Just don’t carry cash and guard your possessions. AST is only recommended when there isn’t AMAT service.

Taxis generally charge €30 in each direction between Palermo and Monreale.

You might however contact Adriana Viaggi (adrianaviaggi@live.com) one day prior - Palermo to the Cattedrale di Monreale with a driver waiting 1,5 hours, and a return from Monreale to Palermo would cost €50.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday jsk5763!

Vagabonda

New York City
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

There were taxis waiting in the piazza outside Monreale Church to take people back to town. They were asking 5 euros each for 4 passengers, or minimum 20 euros for the car. Drivers were eager (aggressive?) to get passengers.

The last stop on 389 is the LAST stop for Monreale - at botttom of hill - a few minutes walk up hill to piazza.

all this talk of Monreale... we thought Palatine Chapel and Norman Palazzo were the not-to-miss highlghts of Palermo.

New York City
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

Warnings about pickpockets on 389. MORE THAN WARNING. Have nothing in your pockets. Have anything valuable zipped up in a zipped bag and clutch it to yourself. Forget the validation machine. When you sit down - write the day and time on the ticket (that's all the machine does). And don't be fussing with your stuff at the bus stop at Piazza Independenzia. I think the thieves are around there, sizing up their potential victims. They come out of nowhere. You will find that it seems more people try to crowd on to the bus than you saw waiting for it. And they are probably off the bus by the time it leaves the Piazza.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

There have been reports of less expensive rates from Monreale to Palermo, but you should expect to pay €30,00 from Palermo to Monreale.

Be sure these are NCC licenced “real” taxi drivers.

http://www.seepalermo.com/monreale.htm

tourofsicily.com/Sicily_Italy_Legal_Tour_Ope…

The Palazzo dei Normanni and the Capella Palatina are exquisite, but the Cattedrale di Monreale is also magnificent.

Vagabonda

Woodridge
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

Vagabonda,

Thank you so much for all the advice you've given us since last November. We will plan on taking a reputable taxi to and from Monreale. Thank you again.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

That was an excellent plan jsk5763!!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5925…

Vagabonda

españa
Level Contributor
23 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

¿ Existe bus entre Palermo y Monreale en diciembre 2013 - enero 2014? ¿Dónde obtener información fiable?

Gracias.

Andateconojo

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,859 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus options Palermo to Monreale

AST runs the direct bus service between Palermo and Monreale every day of the week but Sundays.

http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

Vagabonda