We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

While traveling in Sicily next May, we plan to spend 3 nights at an agriturismo outside of Siracusa. One day I have set aside to visit the baroque towns. We will have a rental car, so we will not have to rely on public transportation to travel between towns.

There are aspects of each town that appeal to me, and I would like to visit all 3. Is it reasonable (or advisable) to attempt to do so in a day? Or would it be best to focus on 2 of the 3 and have more time in each?

Sicily with Sebastian
Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours
Travel and Tour
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Excursions Sicily
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Night Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles
Zagare & Gelsomini Transfer
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

Good question. I was pondering this myself.

los angeles
Level Contributor
589 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

My trip is also in May, but i have already posed this question to several people who have advised me not to attempt to do this in one day. Also, most people indicated that all three baroque towns may be over-baroque. But it will be interesting to see if you get any different responses.

At this point we are thinking of stopping in Noto either on our way from Piazza Amerina to Syracuse OR doing it as a 1/2 day trip -- or ice cream jaunt -- from Ortigia where we are staying. We may skip the other towns.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

Thank you, Alison. I was able to locate your thread and will definitely give consideration to the advice there.

Level Contributor
2,081 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

It depends what you mean by visit! For some people parking the car, taking a photo and having a coffee is a visit, in which case you can certainly do all three. If you want to spend hours wandering the streets and looking at churches it will be well-nigh impossibile.

Noto can take an entire morning, or half an hour - it depends whether a walk on the Corso is enough. Modica can be a lunch and a look at the views, and Ragusa can be a whole afternoon or a drive round the Ibla road and a quick march into Piazza Duomo.

It all depends on whether youìre a tourist who ticks things off, or a traveller.....

Siracusa, Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

Yes, it is possible to visit Noto, Modica and Ragusa in 1 day but it will be a very "full" day and the 3 cities are similar, so, if you don't have a great interest for baroque particularities, I would suggest to choose only 2 towns.

Very important: the most churches close for lunch, so, if you arrive at 2 pm in a town you must wait until 4 or 5 pm to see the inner part of the churches.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,204 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

Welcome to Sicily 225Traveler!

You’ll appreciate the car hire for exploring Southeastern Sicily!

Noto, Ragusa, and Modica are best enjoyed and experienced slowly, by “living” more than “seeing” – These towns are low on attractions, but high on genuine experiences.

Although it is possible to “see” all three towns in one day as indicated by modicasa and Seby, it would be impossible to fully appreciate these towns all in one day. With “baroque-fatique” you won’t recall what you saw where. Also consider the midday closings.

Noto, Modica, and Ragusa in one day is overly ambitious and unfair to you and the towns.

Planned itinerary for May 2013 -- comments & advice welcomed:

Noto is best seen at sunset on a beautiful evening when sun shines on the golden architecture. You might begin in Ragusa, enjoy lunch in Modica, and then visit Noto in the evening – Fortunately May offers long hours of daylight. Mornings are optimal for visiting churches.

Also note that there is no left luggage storage in any of these towns and it’s always a risk to leave luggage unattended in the car.

7. Re: Ragusa, Noto and Modica in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question