We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

Rescue, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

Ciao all fellow travelers,

My wife and I will be in Sicily April 28th thru May22 for the first time, and need help with what clothes to pack, shorts, pants, jackets.....Also, during our travels we want to see as many churches as possible, Our question is would it be disrespectful to wear shorts in the churches we visit? Is the water around Sicily warm enough to swim in late April-May? Thanks, Louie & Vera.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

As to the weather: I was in Sicily at that time of year last spring, and it wasn't even warm enough for sandals in Palermo in mid to late April. I was wearing them upon arrival, and quickly changed to closed shoes and socks. In early May in Siracusa, you still needed a sweater or jacket in the evening.

So, cool, but beautiful! Have a lovely trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

Ciao LMotto,

April is a transitional month and weather can vary from year to year. Last May was very atypical and cool!

Find average temperatures – Hover over the icons to retrieve values.

weather2travel.com/climate-guides/…

More typically....

Weather in Sicily in April:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g658627-i12296-k41…

Dress comfortably. Especially pack comfortable shoes that grip – All the lovely cobblestones are slippery and uneven.

Dressing in layers is generally good advice – Definitely bring light waterproof outerwear, and also a few sweaters, but capris as well for warmer days.

You would see tourists wearing shorts in tourist resort towns and tourist areas.

If you plan to visit Mount Etna, dress in layers - It can be cold!

There is a strict dress code in churches – No shorts, no sleeveless shirts.

http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/wear.htm

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Rescue, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

Ciao, ItalophileNJ & Vagabonda,

Thank you both for your response to our questions. Vagabonda thank you for your incite on what to wear when visiting the many churches in Sicily, and for adding the websites. Ciao, Louie & Vera.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

Vagabonda, I was kind of HOPING that last spring's weather was atypical, and I'm planning to bring my sandals again this spring. But also some socks. :-)

On a related note, I am probably one of the few people who like to buy socks in Italy; I find that the chain stores (Golden Lady? Calzature?) carry better, cheaper socks than I can find here in the US.

5. Re: Weather in Sicily for late April thru late May, shorts ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 07:18