We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The nitty gritty

wagga
Level Contributor
108 posts
277 reviews
Save Topic
The nitty gritty

Thank you to Vagabonda and others for help in planning my upcoming trip to Sicily. The itinerary is set and the accommodation is booked. Most of the time we are taking our time to soak up the way of life, with a few shorter stays in between. I now have some specific queries to finalise things.

1 We fly into Catania with blu express on 17/4 at 17:15 are we likely to be able to catch the bus to Syracuse at 17:40 ? I do not want to wait for the 18:40 bus as we will have been travelling straight through long haul from Australia and will be a bit wrecked. Do we buy tickets on the bus ? In the airport? Easy to find? ( tickets and bus) ? Would I be better to book a private transfer in advance? Could I wait and see if we make the earlier bus, then get a taxi on the spot if we missed it? On the meter? Set fee in advance? How much?

We are staying on the lungomare towards the fort end of Ortygia in an apartment - if we get a taxi/ private transfer can they drive us all the way in? If we did get the bus to Syracuse from the airport how do we best get to our accommodation ? Shuttle bus + walk? We will have packs so are happy to walk a bit. Taxi? Is it easy to find the shuttle bus from where the airport bus drops us?

2 Any specific Syracuse recommendations? We are there 5 nights

3 when we leave Syracuse on Monday by hire car we will go to Ragusa via Noto and Modica we have got pac safe mesh so we can lock non valuable luggage out of sight in the boot ( trunk ) is Antica Dolceria Bonajuto open on Monday - what time do they close for lunch?

Stay 2 nights Ragusa ibla any specific recs?

Stay 1 night piazza Armina at villa clementine

Stay 4 nights in beach front house about 10 Kms south east of Sciacca

Stay 7 nights trapani ( apartment at the " tip" of trapani) visits to Erice favigna, salt road, Marsala, mazara, segesta, zingaro/ scopello/ castellmare

Any special recs?

Drive on motorway to modonie overnight - petralia soprana

Drive to Cefalu , return hire car, spend 2 nights old town apartment

Train to Palermo

4 we are staying in an apartment on via beati paoli. What is the best way to get here from the train station? Bus + walk? Which bus? + tickets? Taxi? How much? Meter or fixed?

We stay in Palermo 5 nights - any recs?

We leave flying Ryanair from trapani to Cagliari

5 Can you give the details of the bus transfer from Palermo to trapani airport + best stop in Palermo ? Our flight is at 19:45 what time do we need to go? Is there anywhere to eat at the trapani airport?

Any general recs?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Syracuse
Syracuse
Sicily, Italy
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Noto
Noto
Sicily, Italy
Modica
Modica
Sicily, Italy
Antica Dolceria Bonajuto
Antica Dolceria Bonajuto
1,747 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Sciacca
Sciacca
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Marsala
Marsala
Sicily, Italy
Cefalu
Cefalu
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Cagliari
Cagliari
Sardinia, Italy
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The nitty gritty

Any plans of disembarking,collecting luggage, finding where the bus leaves from plus buying tickets in less than 30 minutes seems to be the height of optimism plus if you read the reviews of Blu Express on Skytrax you will find frequent complaints about delays so I wouldn't be planning on catching the 17.40 bus to Syracuse.

Hope all works out well.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The nitty gritty

Prego reins76,

Interbus is located outside Arrivals at Catania’s airport – There’s a kiosk to purchase tickets prior to boarding the bus, but unfortunately you’ll probably be taking the later bus. You could also consider prearranging a door to door transfer if arriving conveniently and earlier in Siracusa is important to you. Prearranged transfers are always significantly less expensive than hailing a taxi from the airport – Expect to pay € 70.00 for the prearranged transfer.

http://www.newtravelservices.net/

You would probably prefer staying on scenic Ortigia - Palazzo del Sale B&B, L’Approdo delle Sirene, B&B La Via della Giudecca, Hotel Livingston, Royal Maniace Hotel, Algilà Ortigia Charme Hotel....

Unattended luggage left in cars is always a potential risk!

Yes, Antica Dolceria Bonajuto is open on Monday. From Monday through Saturday, Antica Dolceria Bonajuto is open from 9.00-13.30, and then reopens at 16.00 and stays open until 20.30.

Consider Giumbabulla Luxury House or Il Barocco, but the new La Dimora di Piazza Carmine is only a 10-minute walk to Ibla!

Drive Palermo’s ring road from 10-12 and from 14.00 to 15.00.

You would appreciate a taxi from Palermo’s train station to via Beati Paroli, 10-15 EUR.

Take the direct Terravision service from Palermo to Trapani’s airport and although there is food service at Birgi, you might prefer to eat in Palermoeat in Palermo - …rackcdn.com/files/2012/06/cadenzato_trapani…

airgest.it/en/trapani-airport-terminal.asp

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Ortigia
Ortigia
11,490 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Palazzo del Sale
Palazzo del Sale
242 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
L'Approdo delle Sirene B&B
L'Approdo delle Sirene...
435 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
B&B La Via della Giudecca
B&B La Via della Giudecca
708 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Hotel Livingston
Hotel Livingston
366 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Royal Maniace Hotel
Royal Maniace Hotel
484 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Antica Dolceria Bonajuto
Antica Dolceria Bonajuto
1,747 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Giumbabulla Luxury House
Giumbabulla Luxury House
467 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Barocco
Barocco
69 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Carmine Hotel
Carmine Hotel
583 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Ragusa Ibla
Ragusa Ibla
3,350 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
wagga
Level Contributor
108 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The nitty gritty

Thank you both for your replies.

Looks like we should think about a private transfer then on arrival. I had thought that it was optimistic, although I mostly manage those sort of time frames for domestic flights here, and we would have considered carry on if that made the difference...but if blu express is renowned for being late that would soon spoil things

We are staying on Ortygia - in an apartment on Lungomare Alfeo near the "tip"

Sorry, I had meant recs for things to do/see/watch out for/eat etc rather than for accommodation.

We understand that a locked in metal mesh cover would not stop us losing our luggage if the whole car was stolen

Accommodation is already booked in Ibla

Thank you for giving the link for the Teravision bus

Looking forward to our trip and thank you again for the help

Mentioned in this post
Ragusa Ibla
Ragusa Ibla
3,350 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The nitty gritty

Prego reins76m,

You would appreciate the private transfer on arrival, especially after your long haul from Australia.

The unattended left luggage is a risk even if the entire car isn’t stolen – Don’t leave anything in the car you can’t afford to lose.

Leaving car with luggage at carpark at Valley of the Temples:

tripadvisor.com/…24546831

There's much to see and do around Siracusa. You might enjoy WestMidlandsLizzy’s thread - Siracusa 'rocks':

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k450…

And there are many suggestions on this thread - Syracuse and Ortygia 8 Days... :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4429…

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Syracuse
Syracuse
Sicily, Italy
5. Re: The nitty gritty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:16