We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using an iPhone in Europe

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Using an iPhone in Europe

I've never used my iPhone in Europe (except at wifi points) because of the high roaming costs. But when I upgraded to the latest iPhone I kept my old one and would like to take it with me to Sicily in May and have it fitted with a European card and monthlong data plan. To be honest, my main goal is to use the GPS to find myself on maps when I get lost or turned around in towns and countryside. Does anyone know what I should do? I'll be landing in Palermo and making a circuit of Agrigento, Siracusa, Etna, Taormina, Cefalu, Monreale, and Palermo. Thanks!

modica
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using an iPhone in Europe

is your old one a 3 or 3G or is it a 4. Obviously they take different sims. If its a 3 or 3G with the old style big sim then its easy. Nano sims for the ipone 5 are not easy to find, you can get a mini sim for ipad and Iphone 4 with a data plan PAYG. Bear in mind that most data plans give you 1Gb or 2Gb a month, which for streaming GPS is not alot!

Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using an iPhone in Europe

Is it impossible or just difficult to get a PAYG nano-sim? I want to use my iPhone 5 in Italy in June/July for directions and information. Also want to use my iPad so would need a micro-sim, too. I had just assumed that it would be as easy in Italy to do this as it is in South Africa.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using an iPhone in Europe

Perhaps this recent thread would interest - gps for driving:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k634…

Vagabonda

4. Re: Using an iPhone in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:15