We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

I've just realized that Liberation Day will be soon after I arrive in Siracusa. I tried looking at the website for the Comune but am unable to figure out what sort of celebrations (concerts, parades, cemetery visits) are projected for that day.

I'm not worried about restaurants, etc,......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Grazie, Vagabonda!

I don't know who the driver is; I got a note back from Gianmarco at L'Approdo (I assume he is one of the family, but I don't remember their names). He gave me a phone number, which I assume is for the taxi that will pick me up at the Catania airport when I arrive, and perhaps it's the same.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Prego ItalophileNJ,

Hopefully you'll report back when you know!

All the best!

Vagabonda

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
861 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Buon viaggio, ItalphileNJ. Sorry our paths won't cross on this trip but maybe some day in the future.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Thanks!

And by googling the telephone number for the taxi, I see that it is siracusataxi.net, Sebastiano Garofalo. I'm not sure if this is the same service that picked me up in Siracusa last spring for trip to Catania airport.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Thank you ItalophileNJ - You are so good!

Servizio Taxi di Sebastiano Garofalo is reliable and recommended in the past -

tripadvisor.com/…31952662

tripadvisor.com/…31946695

Not that I would ever expect anything less from L'Approdo delle Sirene! :-)

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

I also know that Vizzini was the home of Giovanni Verga, whose collection "Little Novels of Sicily" I bought a while back for the Kindle app on my iPad.

Looking forward to this trip, and thanking all here (and especially Vagabonda!) for encouragement.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

It's always my pleasure and you'll be in my thoughts ItalophileNJ - Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy....

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Well now I know what everyone in Sicily does on 25 April. They go to Vizzini!

Seriously, the Sagra was fun but I somehow didn't take into account that given it wasn't a work day, bus loads and car loads of people would be there. And would line up to buy not only ricotta and other fresh food but packaged foods and more ordinary tourist "stuff" than you would find anywhere. So that was interesting too.

I've got some baked ricotta in my little fridge here, and some cheese-stuffed peperoncini. The drive was interesting and parts were beautiful. The taxi driver and i spoke some about Giovanni Verga, which brought out pretty much every Italian word in my vocabulary. I've got some little video of the carrettini Siciliani.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 19:09
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Hmmm yummy (^-^) ItalophileNJ!

25 April is a national holiday, and everyone loves a sagra, especially one involving food – Hopefully the experience was worthwhile!

Vagabonda

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 25 April Celebrations in Siracusa

Sounds great!