We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Topic
Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Vagabonda, I have addressed this question to you as you have been so important and instrumental in helping with my planning. I have listed my final travel plans and ask for any thoughts or input you may wish to offer. I do use the word "final" loosely as all travel is a work in progress not only before, but even during a trip. At any rate, here's my plan:

We fly into Palermo on Sept. 5 -- bus to town and stay at Hotel Borsa for two nights. Planning on 1 1/2 days walking to various sights - notably walking tour of the Piazza Marina; tour the Palazzo Chiaramonte Steri. Continue on down to the waterfront; stop at Palazzo Mirto and San Francesco d’Assisi; Oratorio del Rosario di San Domenico; Museo Archeologico Regionale (visiting here is a must if open); Mercato della Vucciria; Teatro Massimo (tour if possible); Piazza Quattro Canti and the Fontana Pretoria; the La Martorana church; Chiesa del Gesu and the church San Cataldo; Piazza della Vittoria; the Palazzo del Normanni--the Cappella Palatina is within it (must see!) Also Monument to Phillip V and the Cathedral.

Sept. 7 - take bus to airport and get rental car. Drive to Segesta and tour site (I'm aware of left luggage problem-I plan to bicycle-chain it to the car in the trunk and hope for the best). After Segesta, continue drive to Selinunte and stay at Il Tempio di Hera for two nights. Late evening self tour of Selinunte.

Sept. 8 -- early morning tour of Selinunte, then drive to Scicca for the day - just wandering around. Return to Tempio di Hera for evening.

Sept. 9 Drive to Agrigento -- in afternoon tour the Valley ot the Temples - plan to stay until sunset. If get to Agrigento early enough, will tour the Archaeological Museum. Stay the night at Camera con Vista in Agrigento.

Sept. 10 -- visit old town of Agrigento in the morning. Then drive to Piazza Armerina -staying one night at La Casa Sulla Collina d'Oro. Afternoon visit and tour of Villa Romana del Casale.

Sept. 11 -- drive to Siracusa -- may visit Morgantina if time permits. Will return car in Siracusa on arrival or next morning.

Sept. 11-14 --- three nights in Siracusa at Apartment Duomo (located off Piazza Duomo). First day visit the Archaeological Park and Museum. Remaining time spent just wandering and eating in Ortigia. Also plan for boat trip around island.

Sept. 14 -- take bus or train to Catania -- leave luggage at Catania train station and spend 3-5 hours visiting sights in Catania (Piazza del Duomo, the Duomo, S. Nicolò l’Arena, Castello Ursino, Pescheria– not to be missed!). Then take the bus from Catania to Taormina and stay for three nights at Residence degli Agrumi.

Sept. 15 & 16 --- wandering and eating in Taormina.

Sept. 17 -- private transfer to Catania airport with New Travel Services. Fly to Naples (.....trip continues).

Well, that's my plan. Vagabonda, you have been instrumental in helping to develop this plan. Sometimes directly and often through posts I read that you sent other people. So thank you again. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have and especially any thoughts about problems you may see in my plan. Thanking you in advance.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Thank you Scott8147 – It’s been my pleasure!

It’s unsure if Palermo’s Museo Archeologico Regionale will reopen this year – Continue to check the Palermo tourism website for updates.

…palermo.it/turismo/tesori_d_arte/00007915_M…

Arrive at Segesta prepared to walk away from the car without opening the trunk and exposing the contents.

Arrive in Sciacca for lunch, or after the midday closings. Perhaps overnight in Sciacca rather than double back to Selinunte. An overnight in Sciacca would also get you to Agrigento earlier the following day so you could see the museum.

Make every effort possible to visit the Museo Archeologico Regionale di Agrigento. Early morning is the best time to visit Agrigento’s historic centre when shops are bustling.

La Casa Sulla Collina d'Oro is well signed, delightful, and there’s easy parking and a lovely terrace with stunning views of Piazza Armerina. Morgantina is also worth the visit - A combined ticket with Aidone's museum is available.

Plan to arrive in Catania very early and begin with the market. Then see the churches since the churches close midday. Beware the area around Castello Ursino.

It's lovely Scott8147, well-thought, nicely paced – Enjoy!!

Vagabonda

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Thank you again, Vagabonda. I'll plan to submit a trip report and reviews following our trip. Your help has been invaluable and we appreciate it. Thanks again. Now it's off to planning the next leg of our trip on the Amalfi Coast.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Always a pleasure Scott8147 and thank you in advance for your trip report!

Ciao e buone vacanze!

Vagabonda

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Vagabonda -- a follow up on one of your suggestions. You mentioned possibly staying in Sciacca instead of doubling back to Selinunte. I originally was going to do that, but was trying to reduce the number of one night stays. However, it would make it easier to get to Agrigento earlier. Can you tell me what the driving time is from Selinunte to Agrigento and from Selinunte to Sciacca?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Hi Scott8147,

It's almost a 2-hour drive from Selinunte to Agrigento, and just a little over an hour's drive from Sciacca to Agrigento, so perhaps a savings of about 45 minutes.

Vagabonda

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Thanks Vagabonda. One more question please. I will be driving from the Palermo airport directly to Segesta and then onto Selinunte. Would it be feasible after seeing Segesta to drive up to Monreale before continuing onto Selinunte? Also I saw on another of your posts that you mentioned that Segesta has a train station. Do they have left luggage there? How close is it to the ruins? (I know, I know.....I said one question and asked three)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

There is no left luggage at Segesta’s train station.

It’s not at all recommended to drive to Monreale, but you would see Monreale, and then see Segesta.

Transportation from Monreale to Palermo Airport:

tripadvisor.com/…5049296

And the road via the hills has construction and a detour - Mountain Route through Partinico to Monreale CLOSED:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g666663-i12111-k62…

Vagabonda

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

OK. I had decided not to go to Monreale because I only have 1 1/2 days in Palermo, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get there. I'll have to take the bus or a private car. Some reviewers have had some problems with the buses. Can you give me the best way and connections to get there and back? I'm staying at the Hotel Borsa.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

You would either take the AST bus (every day but Sunday) or take the City Sightseeing Palermo's Palermo-Monreale route that runs every day of the week including Sundays.

Or hire a drive - Palermo to the Cattedrale di Monreale with driver waiting 1,5 hours:

Book one day prior

€50 for 2 pax return

http://www.adrianaviaggi.it/

Vagabonda

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vagabonda - input on final travel plan

Thank you Vagabonda. I think I have completed my travel plans for Sicily. My trip from there goes to the Amalfi Coast so I guess I better start working out the details for that segment. Thanks again for all your help on Sicily.