We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily for the day

Alabama
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Sicily for the day

We are doing the cruise thing into Messina 8ma to 6pm. I have a quote for 320 euros for a driver to take us around the SE side of the island, Mt. Etna mostly, and then end up in Taormina. Doing a lot of reading on websites and travel books, it looks like we will not get to see much of the island in a day. So i am looking for advice. My gut feel is to go to Taormina and just enjoy the town. Have a great lunch. Drink lots of wine. And let the girls shop. Instead of spending a lot of money and spending the day in the car. Though i bet Etna is great, i am more of the gourmet traveler than the geologist.

Suggestions?

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily for the day

I agree, follow your gut feel. Otherwise you would stay in the car all the time. Siracusa and Ragusa, in the SE, are too far to be visited properly in half a day from Messina and, in any case, not both. Etna is closer but, with only half a day, I suggest you to just relax and enjoy Taormina if it is the main destination you want to see.

Taking the train from Messina, you will save a lot of money.

Alabama
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily for the day

Any suggestions for a good restaurant with a view and great wine list in Taormina.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily for the day

We did an all day tour w/ Sicily Life and visited Taormina as part of the tour. It was a long day riding in the bus! We visited the site of where they filmed the Godfather, then to Taormina. Nice scenery along the way but I think that I would opt to spend part of the day in Taormina vs a tour. Mt. Etna is also dependent upon the weather. We had friends do that tour and they didn't see anything because it was foggy that day.

Taormina is a very upscale town. Lots of sidewalk cafes to drink the vino and people watch. Nice boutique shops for the girls to shop in. Lots and lots of good restaurants. We ate at a small restaurant along the main street but I don't know the name of it. You can also visit the Greek Theatre and get great views from there.

Good luck.

4. Re: Sicily for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2006, 13:06
5. Re: Sicily for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 00:17