We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily - where to go

Liverpool, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sicily - where to go

Me and my mrs have return flights to Palermo early September but now realise that the east of the island is the better part. Is it a good idea to find somewhere in the west round Palermo or is it best to get over to the east of the island? Any ideas or recommendations? Cheers.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily - where to go

I spent 2 weeks in western Sicily in Feb 2010. I had a rental car the whole time. We stayed in Castellammare del Golfo and we visited Segesta, Selinunte, Mozia, Marsala, Erice, Trapani, Agrigento, and Zingaro Nature preserve.

There is stuff to see in western Sicily, it jsut depends on your interests/priorities.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 20:20
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily - where to go

What do you mean by "the better part?"

Indeed, there is much to enjoy in western Sicily. It all depends on you, and you haven't given us enough information to give you any real advice.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily - where to go

Welcome to Sicily Des_Chocolate!

Eastern Sicily isn’t the better part of Sicily - Eastern and Western Sicily are both lovely, just different.

Western Sicily is far less developed and sophisticated than Eastern Sicily. Western Sicily offers a unique opportunity to experience genuine local culture and traditions, la cucina trapanese, amazing archaeological sites, pristine rolling countryside with impeccable vineyards, gorgeous beaches and cerulean seas, the Egadi Islands, and then a chaotic treasure-trove like Palermo.

So decide what it is you would like to see and do, and then decide if Eastern or Western Sicily is the better match for you.

…viamichelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily

…viamichelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily

If you were to decide to spend some time in Eastern Sicily, then begin in Eastern Sicily and end around Palermo to better position for your departing flight.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily - where to go

Hi Vagabonda, we will be visiting Sicily, flight to Catania. We will rent a car. Which area that you recommend us to stay?

Thanks,

Yully

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily - where to go

Welcome to Sicily PrincesaNegra!

Will you also depart from Catania?

How long will you stay?

And what are your interests?

Vagabonda

Cottonwood, ca
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily - where to go

As a reminder, I am arranging a trip for a honeymoon couple arriving at 8:30 at night at Palermo and staying for 5 nights, with a departure also from Palermo. I do have a room booked and have read all of your advice re moving too much etc. The kids are unhappy with Palermo as a base and think they should go to Trapani or somewhere for 3 nights. I just worry how long it will take to get to airport in the morning by 11:00. They really want to see one or two islands and snorkle and have beach time so spending one or two days looking around Palermo seems enough. Which islands are the best to see for day trips? Can all of this be more easily done from Palermo? and if not, then if I move them to old town Trapani, then can they get to the airport easily Saturday morning. Yes, I do know this is all late as they will be there the first week of august. As I say, I do have rooms reserved and a car hired for first night. They were looking to see an area such as Amalfi Coast and it looks in pictures as if Sicily has the same beauty. Thank you if you can answer this and also I just found your Michelin link. Thats a great site with the videos. Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily - where to go

The kids are justified in their feelings - Palermo isn’t a typical honeymoon destination, especially in summer. Palermo is a large city and very hot in summer.

You could always prearrange a transfer to or from the airport and Trapani.

The kids could cluster all their island activities on the Egadi, even taking a transfer from Palermo’s airport directly to the port in Trapani, and beginning with a few nights on the Egad Islands – Base on Favignana (Cas'almare) and enjoy the beaches there, snorkel on Marettimo, and then end with two nights in Palermo to position for their departing flight. Take Interbus from Trapani to Palermo, and take the airport bus from Palermo to Palermo's airport. During their time in Palermo, they could spend a day on Ustica, or more easily and probably more enjoyably at Cefalù.

Do NOT drive in Palermo!

Taormina is most like the Amalfi Coast (fly to Catania for Taormina), but they would enjoy a boutique accommodations on Favignana and the water activities on the Egadi as well.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily - where to go

The question begs.....

If the kids were looking to see the Amalfi Coast and they're in Rome, why not just go to the Amalfi Coast??

Or why not fly to Catania and go to Taormina???

It appears either of these two options would better match what they would like!

And beware the very limited baggage allowance on Ryanair and be sure to print the boarding passes or pay dearly....

Vagabonda

Cottonwood, ca
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily - where to go

Thank you so much for your help. They bought the tickets for Palermo in/out because the new grooms grandparents were born in Palermo. Barone/Cali . They thought it would be fun to check it out. We now know that grandma does not remember street addresses or other relatives. So there they are in Palermo and it wasn't well thought out. RyanAir was the only affordable way to get there from Dublin. I, too am worried about the suitcases of which there will be two at 40-50 lbs. All I can do is warn them. But this is where we are with this. Hotel Porta Felice helped me arrange a transfer to their place that night at 8:30. But I do like your idea of going straight to Trapani, I just didn't know a transfer at night is possible or who to write to get one. I have been online in the middle of the night when I can't sleep trying to find the old town area of Trapani and get them a room! No, they do not get a wedding gift from me. HAHA. We are from California and I looked at the difference in Celsius and Farenheit and it is usually in the 40's Celsius here. We are used to heat. Beaches do sound wonderful though and the water there is clear and beautiful and there is surely some wonderful wine to taste. So finally. It would appear you suggest to leave the airport at 8:30 at night and head straight for the island of Favignana. Is that true or possible? Or base in Trapani and do day trips. Thank you and bless you for hearing me in the middle of the night.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sicily - where to go

Non è niente renee w!

These kids must have a sense of family, and so they will enjoy their ancestral city, and also a phenomenal honeymoon!

What you’re describing about the family is too near home for me to be comfortable! :-)

But perhaps reconsider Ryanair – The flights are inexpensive, but these kids will pay significantly (more than the ticket) for their luggage and in the end, Ryanair won’t be a bargain. Sacrifice the tickets. Ryanair charges for the air that you breathe!!

If they’re in Dublin, then perhaps consider AerLingus from Dublin to Catania.

thinksicily.com/travel-to-and-around-sicily/…

But if from Palermo, contact Adriana Viaggi for the transfer to Trapani, since Adriana Viaggi is so reliable and so reasonably priced.

http://www.adrianaviaggi.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187890-d3…

BUT they’re arriving too late at night to hydrofoil to Favignana on arrival.

http://www.usticalines.it/en/default.asp

So let them begin in Palermo – Hotel Porta Felice is lovely. Hopefully Porta Felice is only charging €38 for the transfer from the airport.

Spend 2 nights in Palermo – They could see Palermo or Cefalù or Monreale.

Really consider hiring a private guide in Palermo – The kids could use the support in Palermo and really maximise their time, Conchita Vecchio, Francesca Lombardo, Marcella Amato…

But they could also base in Trapani their entire time and enjoy Erice, Segesta, the Egadi….

Then hire the transfer back to the airport.

These kids are lucky they found you!

Vagabonda