We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car size with luggage?

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Car size with luggage?

How big of a car do I need for four adults and four EasyJet pieces of luggage????

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car size with luggage?

Perhaps this fleet guide and TAB's blog would assist!

www.autoeurope.com/go/fleet-guides/italy/

…blogspot.it/2011/01/driving-in-italy-car-ch…

Vagabaonda

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car size with luggage?

When there are four of us we always go for the mid-sized class, usually Ford Focus type car and have no problems with four cases.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car size with luggage?

The midsized cars are twice as much. For the 400 EUR saved, I could just buy new clothes and have a nice dinner for four. :(

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car size with luggage?

Hire the smallest car that would meet your needs, but with four adults and luggage, unless you have very little luggage, you may require the mid-sized car. It's important to store luggage out of view in the boot.

Contact AutoEuope for reliable service and reasonable rate - AutoEurope would match any competitors rate on a comparable rental.

When booking your vehicle, ask about the supplier and avoid Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar….

Vagabonda

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car size with luggage?

<< avoid Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar….>>

I have noticed that AutoEurope is featuring these providers. I'm looking for 2 car rentals in the coming months and avoiding these bumps the price up considerably.

Thanks for including my link.

TAB

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car size with luggage?

Prego TAB - Thanks for posting that wonderful link!

The more reliable suppliers aren't these suppliers, and what may appear less expensive on booking could become considerably more expensive in the end with shabby suppliers.

The various AutoEurope websites negotiate their own deals, and use different suppliers, so contracts could and coverage could vary.

AutoEurope UK contracts with different suppliers than http://www.autoeurope.com/

Vagabonda

Glasgow
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car size with luggage?

I also had this problem was only quoted for Maggiore, Thrifty or Firefly. I phoned AutoEurope and was assured that if I had a problem then they as the agent would sort it out for me.

I am still not convinced but there is certainly a huge difference in price. I intend insuring the excess on a separate policy but this doesn't solve rhe problem of a company taking money from me via my credit card.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car size with luggage?

There is a layer of protection with AutoEurope involved, since you would deal with AutoEurope if you were to have a problem with rates or charges, but carefully check the terms and conditions of your contract, inspect and photograph the car at pick-up and drop-off with a Maggiore agent, and secure a signature from that agent.

Buona fortuna!

Vagabonda

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car size with luggage?

We have used Maggiore a few times through Auto-Europe with no problems but certainly wouldn't consider any of the others mentioned.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car size with luggage?

There are issues with Maggiore as well - Use the Search box to retrieve earlier discussions.

Vagabonda