We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental site weirdness

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
car rental site weirdness

I've been looking at autoeurope.com, autoeurope.it, hertz.it, europcar.it -- for renting a car for 2 days/1 night early January.

It's quite strange.

autoeurope.it only shows the cars from the companies everyone warns against - locauto and thrifty mostly.

autoeurope.com shows hyundais available from hertz

hertz and europcar both show fiats

The different ways they show prices for full coverage (no deductible or deductible reimbursement) are a bit confusing, but I think in the end come out comparable between autoeurope.com, hertz.it, and europcar.it - the full insurance is maybe a little more from europcar, but also maybe covers more..

Is there a reason you keep recommending going through a broker instead of directly going to hertz or europcar?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,945 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental site weirdness

Usually, autoeurope.com can quote a price that is significantly cheaper than booking direct with Hertz, Avis or Europcar.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,837 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental site weirdness

The various AutoEurope websites negotiate their own deals and use different suppliers, so always ask about the suppliers. Contracts could also vary.

A reliable broker is also another layer of protection, because you would deal with the broker for any issues involving rates or charges, rather than the supplier.

Contact AutoEurope directly and speak with a representative. AutoEurope would match the rate on any comparable rental.

Vagabonda

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental site weirdness

About a week ago I tried calling AutoEurope to ask why the price for renting the same car for the same dates was twice as much on autoeurope.com than on autoeurope.co.uk or autoeurope.it.

The guy tried to say it was that .com only uses the reliable suppliers (though it doesn't list on the site which one it's talking about), but I was comparing to Europcar rates on the UK & IT sites so that was bogus. The rates were even more higher if comparing to the ones you're always recommending against.

When I asked about reserving on UK or IT site though he insisted that if I do that they might not rent to me or change the rate when I show up with a US driver license. That even if I enter US address on these other websites I'd be doing something bad. And he had an anecdote that some Danish guy recently was denied a car by someone or other because the difference in rates between whatever site he used and the Danish one would have amounted to tax evasion.

This left me with a really bad taste for this site. To have DOUBLE rate for the same rental just because I live in the US is extortionately ridiculous.

I've started email correspondence with a driver you (V) suggested in a different thread. I'll take the bus for the main chunk and most likely have him take me around for a day to the places that are impractical by bus. Seems much saner, and less expensive as well.

I've seen other people post using various AutoEurope sites, has anyone run into them saying "oh you used the wrong country site you can't have a car?" or changing the rates based on where you are from? Was this guy just trying to intimidate me? He seems to have lost a sale this way rather than to get me to pay extreme rates. ($400 for a manual transmission fiat 500 for 2 days is extreme).

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,837 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental site weirdness

And perhaps if you spoke to a different agent, the story would be different - The agent does make a difference, and some are better than others. But the various AutoEurope websites negotiate their own deals and use different suppliers. Contracts also differ, so be sure to compare comparable rentals with the same supplier, same coverage, and same insurance.

Many have hired on the UK or Italian site without any incident, even from Hungary to the Italian site, so not even only from the US using the various other sites.

Autoeurope UK:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3154…

Will Auto Europe UK rent to someone from the US?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k38059…

car rental in Sicily with pick up at Palermo airport:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k3316…

Auto Europe UK vs US site prices- recent experience?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k32986…

Auto Europe help:

slowtalk.com/groupee/…226000652001

Car rental in Sicily- need help on details of excess insurance!

fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-si…

Am I at risk with an Auto Europe UK rental?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k43597…

Auto-europe.co.uk:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k514…

AutoEurope not price matching for US customers at UK rate:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k515…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,837 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental site weirdness

Car rental for 12 days - Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/…49843568

Vagabonda

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental site weirdness

We booked through autoeurope.be. I also compared prices with other autoeurope sites but in the end the differences weren't all that big. Sometimes the insurance coverage wasn't what I wanted, sometimes only a few hundreds of kilometers were included in the rental price, ... But most of all I booked through the Belgian site because it's much, much easier to communicate in my own language. We got a nice new car from Avis and we even got an upgrade (category C instead of B and diesel instead of petrol). We will just continue to book through autoeurope.be as we have been doing for the last 10 years.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,837 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental site weirdness

There isn't a language issue with AutoEuropeUK, and although the registered office address is located in the UK, the agents are located in the US.

Vagabonda

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental site weirdness

Do you have to book in the country that you live in?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,837 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental site weirdness

Not at all as you can see in the link above (n. 4) of all those who booked from sites in countries outside their residence country.

Vagabonda

10. Re: car rental site weirdness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:17