We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Sicily

Chelmsford, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Sicily

Hi

I am planning a trip to Sicily for October & the itinerary is currently as follows:

19.10 Fly to Palermo collect hire car from air port & spend night in Scopello

18.10 drive to Milazzo (best route?) transfer to Lipari (with car?) & spend night on Lipari

19.10 & 20.10 Lipari (to trek Stromboli & possibly scuba dive)

21.10 Transfer back to Milazzo & drive to Taormina

22.10 Taormina & Etna (is this feasible?)

23.10 early drive back to Palermo airport to catch flight at 10.35

Having read a few threads about driving in Sicily I am now panicking thinking we will never make the flight given traffic around Palermo. Hotel is non refundable should I cut my losses & forget Tormima, opting instead to stay somewhere closer to Palermo or is this drive doable?? Any comments on the rest of the itinerary? Should we take car to Lipari or park at Milazzo or hire two different cars?!

Grazie mille

Melanie

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Sicily

Welcome to Sicily Melanie S!

It's not good to drive to Palermo from Taormina prior to a flight - End nearer Palermo and so perhaps begin in Taormina.

With your current itinerary, reconsider Scopello since Scopello is located in the opposite direction of Milazzo, and perhaps stay in Cefalù instead to better position for the next day.

But Scopello would be an ideal last night if you were to begin in Eastern Sicily, and then end nearer Palermo's airport.

You would be able to ferry the car to Lipari in October, but then you would be restricted to the Siremar schedules. You might garage the car in Milazzo (Garage delle Isole), and then you could also take the Ustica Lines hydrofoil service. You would not hire two different cars.

Always allocate extra time around the Aeolians, especially in October when crossing could suspend due to inclement weather, rough seas, or wind.

If you don't plan serious trekking on Etna, you could combine Taormina and Etna on one day, but unless you plan a sunset tour to Etna, see Etna earlier in the day, and then see Taormina.

Vagabonda

Chelmsford, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Sicily

Hello Vagabonda, many thanks for your quick reply & suggestions. I think I will do as you suggest & switch the hotel bookings around if I can (the one in Taormina is non refundable but they may be willing to switch the dates I hope) & spend our first night in Taormina & the cross to Lipari & then spend our last two nights in Scopella. How long roughly does it take from Taormina to Melazza please? And which is the best road to take?

Grazie Mille again :)

Melanie

3. Re: Driving in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:17