We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madonie... A good Base?

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Madonie... A good Base?

I have asked about it in other forums (kinda) and the following two hotels/ agriturismo's were given to me as suggestions:

- Masseria Susafa (Polizzi Generosa)

- Hotel Residenza Petra (Petralia Soprana)

I was actually getting ready to book Masseria Susafa for 3 nights, when I decided to check the maps to see where it was located in Polizzi Generosa. It's actually not in the town, it is quite a ways away from the town.

It looks to be located quite a ways of the main road. My questions are obvious... is it hard to get to in a car rental? Is there any restaurants in the areas to eat at? It looks to be about 20 KM from Polizzi Generosa. I picked this place, because others said Residenza Petra may prove difficult to get to, and that not much is open in the evenings, and there was only one restauant in town.

Before I book, I would like suggestions. I hate comparing, but one of my favorite Base Towns was Pienza in Tuscany. It was small, not touristy at night, quiet and safe, and easy to drive in and out of! Only downfall was no restaurants open in the evenings! I'd like something similar if it exists!

Thanks again!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madonie... A good Base?

You are correct - Like most agriturismi, Masseria Susafa is not located in town. Agriturismi are located in the countryside. If staying at an agriturismo, plan to enjoy dinner at the agriturismo itself.

Sicily is far less developed than Tuscany, and certainly the Madonie is a local mountainous area, so you wouldn't find anything comparable;e to a UNESCO town like Pienza.

Perhaps reconsider staying in the Madonie if this is your expectation.

Vagabonda

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madonie... A good Base?

No way you can compare Pienza with any of the towns in the Madonie (Pienza was also my favourite town in Tuscany).

I think you should follow Vagagonda's advice and stay elsewhere. The Madonie is beautiful, we had a great daytrip last week but it's very remote and under-developed. We didn't even find a restaurant that was open on Sunday for a late lunch (open 12:00 - 14:00).

Also consider that the roads in the Madonie are not always very good. The first part of the road, upto about Petralia, was okay but after that it was sometimes a very bumpy ride and I'm not sure the roads are lit at night.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Madonie... A good Base?

Yes SLaing1979, judging from your comment about Pienza, and also the hotels you're considering in other locations, the Madonie may not be a match for you.

Vagabonda

4. Re: Madonie... A good Base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:19