We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thompsons or Kuoni

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thompsons or Kuoni

Hi All,

First post on this Forum , Looking to go to Sicily for the first time in June next year , looking on the Interweb thingy , appears to be that the above 2 are the main providers is that the case or can any one suggest others to look at , also is DIY an option book flights and accommodation independently , looking not to hire a car on this time , so are airport transfers available or is one reliant on Taxis.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thompsons or Kuoni

Since you can use Trip Advisor, why don't you take a look at the Forum headed Sicily, read what the people posting there have said, ask a few intelligent questions and then decide:

a) If Sicily is where you want to go and

b) how to plan your trip.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thompsons or Kuoni

It may (or may not) be that Thomson and Kuoni are the main tour operators selling trips to Sicily on the UK market - although they probably use local contractors for the services provided. I am quite sure there are other UK providers, e.g. www.citalia.com - supposedly you should find them all under www.loveitaly.co.uk/‎ and/or travel-lists.co.uk/travel/…uk-tour-operators

When you have worked out what you personally want to see in Sicily - and what you don't, or can do without - you will have a better basis for comparing different tours (or stays?) from different operators. You could use tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187886-Activiti… to help you.

DIY is certainly an option but if you don't want to hire a car, you would have to limit yourself to one part of the island: it's too big to visit it all by public transport in a limited period of time (although I don't know how much time you have, of course). You would need to consider whether it is more convenient to fly into Palermo or Catania.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 15:58
Sheffield
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thompsons or Kuoni

Hi, we went to Sicily with Thomson in July 2012. We flew from Manchester and stayed at the Monte Tauro in Taormina. Every thing was fantastic. We went on a Thomson trip to the Baroque town of Noto which was beautiful, caught the local bus up the hill to the lovely village of Castelmola. Very easy to go places from the bus station in town and lots of things of interest to see in Taormina. Think Thomson will be cheaper than Kuoni and we had no problem with our trip at all.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thompsons or Kuoni

If I had to choose between Thomson’s or Kuoni I would book with the cheapest. Both tour operators are well known with a good reputation. I agree with the previous post, I think you will find Thomson’s cheapest.

When I visited Sicily travelled with British Airways and booked our accommodation with the hotel direct, the beautiful Vila Ducale in Taormina. Have a look at my trip report and photos on link below if interested:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/…34546655

Happy planning!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thompsons or Kuoni

I have been very disappointed with Thomson's customer service lately unfortunately, so would not book with them again, even though I have used them for many years and have been a very loyal customer. When things go wrong they are less than helpful, especially once you've paid in full. It seems as if once they've hot your money they lose interest!

I have had excellent service from Kuoni in the past, though never been to Italy with them. If I am correct Kuoni are more expensive, but then you get what you pay for, I suppose.

I am planning to visit Sicily in June and intend to do it the DIY way and hire a car. We did this when we visited Naples and the Amalfi Coast last June and it worked really well, thanks to the helpful advice from people here on trip advisor! :)

6. Re: Thompsons or Kuoni

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:16