We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - base for a week

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - base for a week

We will be visiting Sicily for 7 days in June( early) and after reading many trip reports am now thinking that we will base ourselves in one spot and take day trips from there. We fly in & out of Catania, which looks as though we should concentrate on the eastern side of Sicily. We will not have a car, so will need to rely on local transport or organised day tours. I was thinking of Taormina as a base.

Would appreciate any feedback.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Hi. You could split your stay between Taormina and Siracusa, that will serve you better as a base. Siracusa is a top destination in Sicily, it's cheaper than Taormina, has good public transport links and offers more to see and do.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,687 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Welcome to Sicily 007jan!

Early June is a great time to visit Sicily - The formal beach season begins in June, but June is just prior to the peak season in July, and especially in August.

If arriving and departing in Catania, then yes, concentrate on Eastern Sicily.

Taormina is Sicily's chicest and most expensive resort town with a high ratio of tourists to locals. It's a beautiful mediaeval hill town, convenient for visiting Mount Etna, and many excursions are available from Taormina, even to Agrigemto and the Aeolian Islands. Beaches are located below town all along this coastline. Interbus runs direct bus service from Catania's airport to Taormina.

Siracusa is an historical destination that mixes tourism with real everyday life, and Siracusa is an ideal base for visiting UNESCO Noto. Ancient Ortigia is the most scenic area to stay. Interbus also runs direct bus service to Catania's airport.

Dividing your time between Taormina and Siracusa would serve you well, and offer diversity to your itinerary, but if you still prefer one base, Taormina or Siracusa are your top considerations.

Vagabonda

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

I appreciate all feedback, at ths stage still undecided as to which one for a base. I will read some more and then make a decision on that. Ideally it would be great to divide time, but with only 6 days we would & allowing for travel time b/n ea I wonder whether we would miss out on absorbing the local feel of the place in combination with day trips from one base. "There's just never enough time!!" I'm still toying with the other destinations we have in mind to decide if we drop one & thus spend more time in Sicily & Budapest, rather than trying to fit in Prague as well.

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Vagabonda

What is the best way for us to travel from Catania airport to 1. Taormina 2. Siracusa?

If we choose to stay in Taormina, what is the best way for us to visit Siracusa, we will not be driving ourselves?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,687 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

There never is enough time 007jan!

If you were to base in Taormina, but still plan to visit Siracusa, you would waste time retuning to Taormina from Siracusa. Staying in Siracusa would position for seeing places like Noto.

Taormina is compact, but a convenient base for day trips, especially considering all the excursions that run from Taormina.

Siracusa has more to see and do.

But surely you could base in one town and then take day trips as well.

There is no train station at Catania's airport. Although train and bus schedules will update prior to your visit next June, Interbus runs direct bus service from Aeroporto Catania to both Taormina and Siracusa.

http://www.interbus.it/

Group bus excursions, private tours, driver services only, and public transport are your options for seeing Siracusa from Taormina. Interbus runs the bus service connecting via Catania or Catania's airport.

Buses are generally preferred to trains in Sicily, but you could also take the train between Taormina and Siracusa, and the train could be faster than the bus on this route, however you would first take the bus from Taormina down to the Taormina-Giardini train station located below town along the coast near Giardini.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Vagabonda

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Thank you so much Vagabonda; I really appreciate all of your information.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
862 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

007jan,

I visited in April-May this year, 3 1/2 week trip. I stayed 3 nts in Ortigia and 1 nt in Taormina. I loved Ortigia in every way and could not imagine visiting as a day trip! So much to see and do. Even just wandering the ancient streets is lovely. I was even there during the big May 1 holiday when local and weekending Italians still far outnumbered tourists. Can't say the same for Taormina.

My 3 full days in Ortigia were not enough and I would have loved a couple more to see things I missed.

buon viaggio!

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Spello

Many thanks for your view will certainly take it into consideration.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,687 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Prego 007jan - My pleasure!

Thank you Spello2005 - It is really lovely to wander the alley of ancient Ortigia!

Taormina Vs. Syracuse :

tripadvisor.com/…38697380

Siracusa or Taormina ?

tripadvisor.com/…42612202

Where to stay in Sicily:

tripadvisor.com/…46928492

Enjy your lanning!

Vagabonda

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary - base for a week

Thanks Vagabonda for all of your input. I have tried accessing interbus & train websites, however they will not allow me to insert dates or destinations from here, which makes it difficult to work out times & approx costings. If we based ourselves in Siracusa what would be the best way for us to access places such as Noto,Modica, Ragusa, Agrigento from there given that we do not have a car.

As we drive on the OTHER side of the rpad we are a bit loathe to drive there.

Regards

Jan