We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sicily beach towns

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
sicily beach towns

Hi,

Our family has decided to spend a relaxing week in Sicily on the beach to recharge our batteries.

I am looking at four towns San Vito lo Capo, Taormina, Cefalu and Trapani. I hope these are all good choices.

My Family is composed of my wife who when she goes to the beach she punches in at 9:00am and out at 5:00pm she is a sun worshiper, the rest of us are love the beach just not as much. What I am looking for is a town that is not just a beach resort but a town with charm and character so if one or all of us decide to leave my wife by herself on the beach we can find something to do in the town hopefully a short walk from the beach.and at night somewhat lively.

I am looking at something with good transfers from the airport because I do not wish to have a car for that week. I drive for a living and will be driving the rest of our trip all the way to Turin. As for accommodations I am more interested in a private rental or B&B.

Thank you in advance

Pasquale

P.S

Our next stop will be in Alife, Caserta my fathers home town

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sicily beach towns

Hi. Trapani is a good base for western Sicily, but it isn't properly a beach destination, it has a small beach but is a port town. Taormina is near the shore, but it's located on a hilltop, the nearest beach is in Giardini Naxos.

Cefalù would probably be the best option, also in terms of public transport options.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,055 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sicily beach towns

Salve patskialta,

Although the beach at San Vito Lo Capo is golden sand with cerulean seas, San Vito Lo Capo is essentially a beach resort town, and because San Vito Lo Capo is located an hour’s drive up Sicily’s northwestern headland, it isn’t well positioned for touring and exploring the attractions of Western Sicily.

Trapani is a genuine working Sicilian small city, and although it's convenient to have a beach in town, it's not the best beach in the area.

Cefalù is a popular beach resort town with a charming compact historic centre, a magnificent Norman Duomo, and a nice beach. Although a beach resort town, Cefalù is also a genuine working Sicilian town with many private rentals, and an acceptable nightlife.

Palermo is Cefalù's preferred airport, but there's no direct transport from the airport to Cefalù. You would take the Prestia e Comandè bus from Palermo's airport to Palermo, and then take the train or SAIS Trasporti bus from Palermo to Cefalù.

Although located along the (often tardy) Palermo-Messina train line, bus service is very local in this area. Palermo is an easy day trip by train from Cefalù, but there's less to see along Sicily's northern coast, and Cefalù isn't very near most of Sicily's top attractions, so day trips to these destinations would require several hour's of transport each day. Various companies offer excursions.

Taormina is a beautiful mediaeval hill town of character with a lively nightlife and many beaches all along the coast below town. Spiaggia Mazzarò and Isola Bella are located just below town.

www.gotaormina.com/en/beaches/beaches.html

These beaches are easily reached by funivia, bus, Taormina’s trasporto urbano, hotel shuttles, or walking.

There is direct Interbus service between Aeroporto Catania and Taormina, and Catania conveniently positions for your onward travel to Alife (Caserta). Taormina is a convenient base with

Getting there:

tripadvisor.com/…52104053

Taormina is Sicily's top destination, and so it's crowded during peak season. Taormina is a convenient base with public transport options for day tripping, as well as many possible excursions. A car isn't necessary with a base in Taormina. You would find many private rental or B&B accommodations.

Cefalu vsTaormina:

tripadvisor.com/…47362392

Vagabonda

3. Re: sicily beach towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 06:18