We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

broadheath
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

Hi there,

Going to Sicily in January for 2 weeks and have booked 1st week's stay in palermo.

We think we'd like to spend some time on the western coast too.

We don't have transport but do have a one yr old and we don't particularly want to be on the go a lot. We're into nature and wildlife, good food (preferably organic, I grow organic veg for a living) and being by the sea.

So we think it would be great for us to be in a town in an apartment (budget around £200-£250 for the week) but be near the countryside or at least not far from good food experiences (I would love to visit other organic farmers, particularly).

Also we're heading back to Palermo for a flight on the saturday and would prefer to be somewhere that we can get to palermo without too much hassle.

Too much to ask? any comments appreciated. ta

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,813 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

Jan is the off-season in Sicly. Lots of lodging and restauratns are closed in smaller towns. Public transport in western Sicly in the winter isn't the best either. if you don't have a car, the best place for you to stay in western Sicily is Trapani.

We spent 2 weeks in western Sicily in Feb 2010 but we had a rental car the whole time and we styed in a hotel in Castellammare del Golfo that had parking.

I have to say that nature and wildlife are not what I think of when I think Palermo and Trapani.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

Yes, you would really appreciate a car for more countryside and nature in the area, like the Zingaro reserve.

As lupaling said, the best base in western Sicily without a car is Trapani.

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

ok thanks very much lupaling and biondo for your input. We shall look at Trapani then

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

I agree trapani, is the only logical base without a car, don't forget to visit Erice while your there.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,837 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

Welcome to Sicily thegom!

January is low season, and so Trapani would be your most optimal base, especially if you don't plan to hire a car.

Trapani is a small city, but its historic centre is charming with a small-town feel. Trapani offers the most convenient public transport options in Western Sicily.

Farms would be located in the countryside, and so you would require a car or driver to visit. Perhaps contact Michelangelo Transfer to plan a day.

http://www.michelangelotransfer.it/

You might enjoy reading nige10 Trapani trip report -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k4…

Interbus runs direct bus service between Palermo and Trapani, and also between Trapani and Palermo's airport.

If schedules aren't convenient, you could then take Interbus back to Palermo, and then take the airport bus from Palermo to the airport.

You would very much appreciate a car, even if only for a few days during your time in Trapani.

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday!

Vagabonda

broadheath
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

Ok thanks very much for these options. Due to the lack of a credit card we can't book a car as much as we might want to, unless you know of a car hire place which will accept a debit card?

I will read the other posts now,

thanks again!

7. Re: Western Sicily for small family/food lovers/a bit skint?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 06:17