We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best relaxing location for a first trip to Sicily in January

Columbia, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Best relaxing location for a first trip to Sicily in January

Best relaxing location for a first trip to Sicily in January. ( I know this might be a lousy time, but we have to be in that region of the world at the time) The warmest side of the island would be best. We only have 3 days/4nights this first visit. Our 43th anniversary! We think young, but the bods are going south; warm is good!

We need help on a budget hotel, pensione, apartment. Long stairs would be not be great; short ones are no problems. Bad knees on one of us. View and/or small town feel would be a plus.

A little sightseeing and a lot of regional eating, wine drinking and relaxing is the promise I made this time. We are really open to any suggestions.

I have to work a little in Milan, but I thought a warmer getaway would be a fun surprise afterwards.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best relaxing location for a first trip to Sicily in January

I spent 2 weeks in western Sicily in Feb 2009, so you can have a great time depending on where you stay and what you do. Realize that in Jan some of the hotels and restaurants will be closed. Sicily is a big heterogenous place. 4 days is not a lot of time. it's warmer near the coast than in the interior, but it is not tropical in sicily in the winter. I liked it because it was warm for me, but I like to vacation in places where water does not freeze and think it is warm. average high/low for Jan 1 is 55/49 deg F.

www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

Rome is only a little less warm on jan 1 with an average high/low of 53/38

www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

you can guess at the temp from looking at what the people were wearing in Feb

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Are you going to rent a car? Public transprot in the winter is not as good, and transport in small towns isn't all that great either.

2. Re: Best relaxing location for a first trip to Sicily in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:18