We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Hello

We are travelling to Sicilia for the first time at the end of June for 2 weeks.

I would like to choose 2 bases to explore the island rather than moving all the time. I am thinking Syracusa and Cefalu. I have read quite a lot of the recommendations posted and certainly think Syracusa would be a definite. I am not so sure about Cefalu.

We would like to visit Palermo, Monreale, etc but I am not as familar with the north and west coasts and what area would work best for us. We will have a car.

We are very interested in the local culture (studio l'italiano!) rather than tourist resorts although we know it will be busy then. We fly out of Catania.

Your recommendations would be most gratefully received.

Cordialmente,

Kristin

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,972 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

hi there: i thought to chime in here as i have been planning a 15 day trip but you will definitely receive wonderful advice from the experts.

Firstly, do you fly in and out of Catania ....do you have 2 weeks (14 days) not including air travel or 12 days with air travel...the more specific with everything, the better people can provide guidance.

If you are in regions that have efficient bus service (i.e., Palermo, Cefalu/north and Catania, Syracuse/southeast and Trapani/west), you may not need a car but renting a car will give you much more mobility and freedom to visit more sites and on your own terms. If you're not sure about Cefalu or what is really in Palermo or other towns, I do encourage you to pick up a good guide book...read up and make lists of what sounds wonderful to you...you will start to formulate a more personal plan and people can help you with that plan. You may find that you don't want to visit a place after all or that you just have to stay in Cefalu for 4 days! One thing...it is not advisable to drive in Palermo...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Welcome to Sicily Kristin K!

Surely Siracusa would be a definite.

And your indecision about Cefalù is justified, since Cefalù isn't conveniently positioned for exploring the major attractions, even if convenient for Palermo, which you would visit by train (not car).

And if you're interested in local culture, then base in Trapani, or even Castellammare del Golfo.

Drive to and park in Palermo's airport, and then take the bus from the airport to Palermo. The bus runs later than any public transport from Palermo to any town, so you can enjoy a long, full day in Palermo. Take the AST bus from Palermo to Monreale.

Begin in Western Sicily, and end in Siracusa t conveniently position for your departing flight.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

If you have a car, Castellammare is a good base for western Sicliy. many of the hotels have parking available, iot has b=good access to the Autostrada A29 that you can use to get to the airport and all over western Sicily. To visit Palermo, you can drive to the airport, parkl the car, and take a bus into Palermo.

I spent 2 weeks in Castellammare with a rental car in Feb 2010. We visited Trapani, Erice, Zingaro nature preserve, Selinunte, Segesta, Marsala, Mozia, and Agrigento.

Castellammare is the red fire on this google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Detail map just of Castellammare

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Castellammare del Golfo is local, and well positioned for exploring, but unfortunately the beach is filthy.

You could also consider basing in nearby Scopello. The beaches around Scopello are pebble and the seas are lovely. Scopello is the southern entrance to the Zingaro reserve.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Grazie mille Vagabonda and all other lovely contributors. This is all great food for further research. I wish you buon viaggio on your journeys!

Kristin

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Prego Kristin K, and may you enjoy your research!

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

yes the beach is dirty. I was not sure if the beache was important to the OP.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

There are many advantages to staying in Castellammare del Golfo - Castellammare del Golfo is a colourful town, conveniently positioned near the A29 for day trips, and ideal for experiencing local life and culture.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Sicily - 2 bases

Thank you Vagabonda but I have just booked in Trapani as you suggested and it is a non-refundable price. It is an apartment with a small terrace and a view of the sea so I think it will be lovely. I will definitely visit Castellammare del Golfo. Non c'e' vedo l'ora!

Grazie per il tuo auito!