We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Flights are booked for a female friend and I for mid June - 3.5 days/4 nights.

Taormina looks beautiful but the buses aren't regular enough from the airport and we don't want to wait more than an hour with limited time. So, Syracuse first - can I just check here and Ortigia are walkable between and around (we're fit and active) as I've seen a b&b near the bus station. We won't be in apart from to sleep so we don't need anything fancy. Secondly, as we'd only have the Saturday for etna (a must) can we book a trip on arrival into Catania for a group tour (possibly including Taormina). It's a shame we'd only have that day as we would just have to hope it'd be cloud free. we want to visit the top of the volcano and aren't bothered about wine tasting or anything on a tour. I think we can get the 8.15am bus too if needs be but can't do Taormina then. We both enjoy wandering old areas, taking pics, it's nice to be by the sea but not lie on a beach, and we enjoy a less touristy atmosphere with more reasonable priced bars and restaurants. we don't want any major nightlife and clubs but like a bit going on! We liked Portofino last year when we visited from the cinque terre but found it artificial and overpriced and were pleased we weren't staying there. I'm happy to find our hotels and check reviews, just would like help re the etna trip and if Syracuse/ortigia is walkable. Thanks for your help, sorry to waffle on.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

The Interbus service from Aeroporto Catamia is very frequent for Taormina, but if schedules are more accommodating for Siracusa, then surely begin in Siracusa.

Flights don't always arrive on time, so you might not have an hour's wait in the end.

Ortigia is the most scenic area, but if you were to stay near the bus station (not as attractive), you would be mid-point to Ortigia and the archaeological park. Everything is walkable.

Canvas your options for Etna prior to your departure, and see if weather cooperates nearer your travel dates, and then book your tour on arrival.

If trekking to Etna's summit, you won't have time for Taormina on the same day.

You might also arrive in Catania early in the morning, take the AST bus from Catania to Rifugio Sapienza, and then join a group with the Etna Sud alpine guides.

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Thanks again Vagabonda, you are such a help. We wouldn't arrive until 10.50am and if the plane was late it could possibly mean a wait of 2-3 hours (if I've done it correctly!). Thanks for clarifying about the volcano trip and what we can cram in! - and thank you for your patience with my questions!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

A pleasure mrspink,

Bus schedules would update prior to mid-June, and typically services increase during peak season.

On the current schedule, you would take the 13.45 bus to Taormina, or the 11.40 bus to Siracusa.

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday!

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Taormina would be a good option as easy for Etna, but Syracuse also looks good and a bit cheaper. I've found some b&bs in Ortigia now which sounds better, so I've followed your suggestions!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Taormina and Siracusa are both wonderful, just different!

Siracusa or Taormina ?:

tripadvisor.com/…42612202

If not hiring a car, Taormina is more convenient for day tripping to Etna, since there are many more excursions from Taormina then from Siracusa.

Vagabonda

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Am currently in la via della guidecca in ortigia. It's wonderful and easy to get to.

The island is very safe at night

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

Thanks for reporting Foodgloriousfood88 - Enjoy!

Vagabonda

8. Re: 4 nights - 2 Syracuse, 2 Catania I think - quick question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:19