We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scopello food and markets

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scopello food and markets

Hi there,

We are visiting sicily in mid July this year, and we are staying just outside Scopello, self catering.

One of the main reasons for visiting Sicily is the food. I love cooking and eating out, so we will be doing a bit of both, so I am after some suggestions.

I am looking for food markets in the local area (we will have a car), are there any small towns with ports that have fish markets (I'm not afraid of getting up early).

And what would be people's recommendations for eating out? From the fancy to the rustic, I want to sample it all!

I have heard about the restaurant La Pineta in selinunte (which I realise is not near Scopello) but I can't find an address for it. Is someone who knows exactly where it is able to pin it on google maps for me.

Thanks in advance for the help

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
La Pineta
La Pineta
363 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Cantunera Ibla
£, Italian, Mediterranean, Street Food
Tommy's wine - Enoteca, Osteria
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean, European
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scopello food and markets

Castellammare is the closest town to Scopello for eatting out and buying groceries

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I stayed in Castellammare for 2 weeks in the winter and I have no idea if there is a fish market there or not. There are lots of places to eat in a variety of price ranges.

Here is a google map with some of the restauratns marked. Some of the ppalces were closed because it was winter.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

This was our favorite place

Il Ristorantino del Monsù

The food here is GREAT! We ae herre msot nights duing our stay.

Try the Pasta (Butatini?) with Pistachios and tuna eggs. dessert were supre also. Reasonable price

outside

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

inside

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Mentioned in this post
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
palermo
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scopello food and markets

hi WesCAddle,

in scopello there is a bakery that prepare tipical "pane cunzatu"

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1199297-d17…

if you search food markets, you can find they in castellammare del golfo, a town near scopello. in castellammare there is a port and I think it's possible to find fish markets. also you can try to go to balestrate for fish.

la pineta is in marinella di selinunte and these are the reviews

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g616189-d11…

in castelvetrano you must taste the "pane nero"

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g665937-d361…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scopello food and markets

Welcome to Sicily WesCAddle!

Fishermen sell their daily catch at the marina in Castellammare del Golfo.

Castellammare del Golfo runs a Saturday market.

The nearest grocery market to Scopello is just outside Scopello.

Food shopping on a Sunday in Trapani, Scopello or between:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k389…

There's also a market in Alcamo on Wednesdays.

Alcamo Market on Wednesday:

tripadvisor.com/…51209177

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Alcamo
Alcamo
Sicily, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scopello food and markets

Thanks everyone,

What time is the Alcamo market on till. We arrive that day so wouldn't be able to make it till 3pm or so I reckon. Is it a food market as well as general items?

With regards to the La Pineta restaurant I'm selinunte, I have heard is quite hard to find so I was after some more details of how to find it.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Alcamo
Alcamo
Sicily, Italy
La Pineta
La Pineta
363 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scopello food and markets

Alcamo's general market (food and clothing) is held every Wednesday morning from about 7.00 or 8.00 until about 14.00.

Vagabonda

palermo
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scopello food and markets

WesCAddle,

it's not difficult to find the restaurant on google maps. write "via punta cantone marinella di selinunte" and you can see the results; the result A is "pineta".

you can find the restaurant simply following the main street in selinunte. at the end of the "strada statale 115 dir" from castelvetrano, after the roundabout follow "via caboto", the road down into the town center so, after a sharp curve on the left, follow "via scalo di bruca" that will take you on port in a little square nearest the sea; from this point, the road is calling "via cantone"

Edited: 13 March 2014, 16:22
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scopello food and markets

Yes, you just drive Via del Cantone to the end, as far as you can go, and cars just park along the road. The road gets a bit gravely, but you will see signs for Ristorante La Pineta. Then when you drive as far as you can, park along the road, and you'll see still another sign for the restaurant, and walk the rest of the way.

It sounds more complicated that it is, because it's not difficult at all.

Vagabonda

Edited: 13 March 2014, 16:42
palermo
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scopello food and markets

the view from ruins to the sea is beautiful. if you can, visit the "riserva naturale foce del belice" a long beach with a little river (the belìce)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,752 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scopello food and markets

This is really a beautiful and pristine area.

Have you seen photos of Ristorante La Pineta?

selindream.it/Locals/Restaurants/Pineta.aspx

And I agree with fin0's suggestions to enjoy the views from the archaeological site, and to also visit Foce Fiume del Belice.

Riserva Naturale Foce Fiume del Belice:

tripadvisor.com/…50135485

Scopello is conveniently positioned near the A29, so it's easy to visit the Selinunte area, and enjoy the differences between the coves and pebble beaches around Scopello, and the sandy beaches around Selinunte.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
La Pineta
La Pineta
363 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
Selinunte
Selinunte
692 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
10. Re: Scopello food and markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28