We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Segesta or Selinunte

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Segesta or Selinunte

Hi everyone.

My friend and I are planning a trip to Sicily in May and I fear we may not have enough time to do both of these places justice. We will have a car and have already factored in Agrigento.

So if you had to chose one of the above sites to visit which one would it be and how long should we allow?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Selinunte is much larger and has more ruins to see. 4 hours might be OK.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Welcome to Sicily Thylaseen!

Your question is subjective....

Which site better fits your route and itinerary logistically?

Unlike Segesta, you can walk around the ruins of Selinunte, and also get the feel of a Greek city, but the temple at Segesta is impressive, and the teatro and views very lovely.

public transport to Sciaccia for day trip:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k34670…

Sicily in 5 days and 5 nights - tips please...:

tripadvisor.com/…25878383

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Thank you for your feedback lupaling.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Grazie Vagabonda.......

It looks like Selinunte is a must see. As we have already booked our accommodation, this leaves us two options.

1. Do a round trip that starts in Erice, visit Segesta, then on to explore Selinunte and then return to Erice via Marsala and possibly dinner in Trapani. I have no doubt this would be a pretty big day, but is this do-able?

OR

2. On the day we depart Erice, stop in at Selinunte for a few hours on the way to our next stopover in Agrigento. My real concern with this option is that we will have all of our belongings in the car. which is something I have been trying to avoid. Are there any luggage storage facilities we could use that would eliminate this problem?

If anyone has any further suggestions please feel free to add them.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Salve Thylaseen,

Your first option includes too many destinations to be enjoyable.

Like Segesta, there's no left luggage storage at Selinunte, so seeing Selinunte on your way to Agrigento from Erice is a risk.

Consider your first option with fewer stops. Decide what you would most like to see.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Many thanks for your valuable advice Vagabonda.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

Prego Thylaseen,

Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Segesta or Selinunte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16