We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rent in Sicily

Riga, Latvia
7 posts
Save Topic
Car rent in Sicily

Hello!

To decide where and how to hire car in Sicily for me become a real nightmare. But in the end I got Autoeurope person "on the other end" on phone. Offer was fine. We got zero excess (although in Sicily it mean that we still can lost some 400 EUR in some case) so I made booking.

Problem is that in the end company which will give us a car in Sicily is Thrifty. And only after that I checked that Thrifty have quite bad references. How do you thing should I cancel hire booking or as it is through Autoeurope I can hope that everything will be not so bad?

Will be thankful for advice and experience share

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Hello Brija2,

There is some protection with Auto Europe as the broker, but are you certain it is Auto Europe, and not Autoeuropa??

http://www.autoeuropa.it/newae/index_new.aspx

It's even trickier than you might think between Auto Europe and Autoeuropa.

Here's Autoeuropa's (Sicily by Car) website with .it:

http://www.sbc.it/newae/index_new.aspx

Here's Auto Europe's website with .com:

http://www.autoeurope.com/

But note that the AutoEuropa website with the .com is really Auto Europe.

http://www.autoeuropa.com/

Always ask the broker about the supplier when booking.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Riga, Latvia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rent in Sicily

it is correct autoeurope - logi is the same as in your link.

I wish all would be easier with this car hiring thing. I'm loosing delight for all trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,868 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Auto Europe is very reputable. Perhaps contact and ask for another supplier.

Enjoy your holiday!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
essex
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Vagabonda, your name seems to come up in a lot of forums about sicilly, so i think you know best and maybe you can help me.

firstly I am landing in Palermo airport on the 18th april and staying until 21st april and then driving to taormina and staying there until the 25th with my girlfriend and we fly back from catania airport.

i have chosen massimo plaza in palermo for 3 nights and chose villa angela in taormina for 4 nights. what do you think of my selection?

secondly, about renting a car, I fly into palermo and fly out from catania. so i will be driving from palermo to catania with a GPS. who would you recommend as a good reliable rental company? ive read that some local companies werent so trustable(not mentioning any names) and afterwards customers were charged things on their card, and this is something id like to avoid. I want a decent car with a GPS from a decent company, and would rather pay extra to avoid this kind of trouble. May i plaease hear your thoughts. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Riga, Latvia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Actually when I'm checking other options for those dates in autoeurope homepage - I can see that zero excess they offer only for cars from Thrifty the rest have either inclusive package or Refundable package (for Maggiore - which as I understand is other bad option). So I'm in thigt corner - either I have zero excess insurance, or reliable hire company (Europcar or Sixt).

Probable I will leave like it is for this moment, but will continue checking their offer time to time hoping that some of them will have Zero excess offers as well later, if not - will make photos of every inch of hired car when will pick it up and drop off. Hoping for the best. In any chase I understand that my risk is 400-500 EUR. Which of course is big moneny, but at least it is not 1000 or 1500 eur. Isn't it?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rent in Sicily

I myself rented a car from Autoeurore UKn in Feb 2010 for 2 weeks for 448 British pounds (Aprroz $778) at the Palermo airport with zero excess included (return to Palermo). Sicily by car was where the car was from. Fir me Autoeuropre UK was 50% cheaper than renting through Autoeurope US. Sicily by car also had bad reviews but we did not have a problem wtih them

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Riga, Latvia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Thank you very much for this information! That gives me hope for the best :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,868 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Prego Brija2,

It's also possible to purchase extra insurance directly from the supplier at the desk on arrival.

And yes, document the car's condition, and have an agent sign.

Buona fortuna!

Vagabonda

Edited: 26 March 2014, 16:04
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,868 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rent in Sicily

Welcome to Sicily essexoz!

You've chosen lovely hotels!

You wouldn't require a car during your time in Palermo, and you might not require a car around Taormina as well, but that would depnd on your day trip intentions during your time in Taormina.

If you'd like to have a car during your time in Taormina, then take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus from Palermo to Aeroporto Catania, and hire and return the car at Catania's airport.

Contact Auto Europe, and ask about the supplier, avoiding Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar….

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
10. Re: Car rent in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16