We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

essex
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

firstly I am landing in Palermo airport on the 18th april and staying until 21st april and then driving to taormina and staying there until the 25th with my girlfriend and we fly back from catania airport.

i have chosen massimo plaza in palermo for 3 nights and chose villa angela in taormina for 4 nights. what do you think of my selection? can people with experiences let me know.

secondly, about renting a car, I fly into palermo and fly out from catania. so i will be driving from palermo to catania with a GPS. who would you recommend as a good reliable rental company? ive read that some local companies werent so trustable(not mentioning any names) and afterwards customers were charged things on their card, and this is something id like to avoid. I want a decent car with a GPS from a decent company, and would rather pay extra to avoid this kind of trouble. May i plaease hear your thoughts. Thank you

England
Level Contributor
343 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

I'm not sure about the hotels, but, I'm sure others will respond. Have you looked at the TA reviews for them?

As for car hire, everyone recommends the global brands, Hertz, Avis etc, but I have to say that I have twice rented through Maggiore and they were fine. I found that GPS hire is very expensive and often costs more than buying a sat nav.

The Palermo to Catania drive is very simple and doesn't require a sat nav, but when I went to sicily last year, I downloaded a free app called "Nav free Italy" and it was really good.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

essex
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

hey stu,

thanks man, the thing is if i download the app, ill have to use my 3g and thats gonna be expensive! :)

ive read some bad reviews about some of the lokal companies thats why i asked.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

Do you really need to rent a car? You do not need a car in big cities such as Palermo or Catania and Taormina is mainly a pedestrian area. In addition to that, the places you mentioned are served by public transport (even though April 25th is national holiday and there are limited services).

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,677 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

Welcome to Sicily essexoz!

You've chosen lovely hotels!

You wouldn't require a car during your time in Palermo, and you might not require a car around Taormina as well, but that would depnd on your day trip intentions during your time in Taormina.

If you'd like to have a car during your time in Taormina, then take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus from Palermo to Aeroporto Catania, and hire and return the car at Catania's airport.

Contact Auto Europe, and ask about the supplier, avoiding Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar….

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

essex
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

well i was thinking of renting a car because i didn't want to mess around getting taxis everywhere and trying to catch trains etc, you know just to make things better. and i was thinking of also visiting corleone and visiting the villages near messina where godfather was filmed, and saracusa, so i think a car wwould be better.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,677 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

A car would not make things better in Palermo.

Once outside Palermo, a car would be convenient for exploring Palermo province around Corleone, but not from Palermo itself, and AST, SAIS Trasporti (Autolinee Gallo), and Autoservizi Stassi run bus service between Palermo and Corleone.

Buses are much preferred to trains with few exceptions.

A car would be convenient around Taormina if you intended to visit Savoca and Siracusa.

Vagabonda

essex
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

i see, in all honesty i dont want to sound like a snob but i hate carrying things around on public transport etc, so i am going to go with the renting the car option from palermo on the last day, the difference is not worth all the hassle and plus i dont want to be limited to where i go, i want to go wherever i want to go without worrying or waiting for buses and trains and carrying luggage around. and i think the road trip between palermo and taormina will be nice, i can stop at villages or towns if i want to. Plus id rather be in control of the car i am travelling in.

so regarding rental companies, you said:

Contact Auto Europe, and ask about the supplier, avoiding Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar….

do you mean i should avoid all the above companies?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,677 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

Yes, avoid all the companies above!

If you hire the car in Palermo on your last, outline a detailed route to exit the city.

Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/…33992027

Vagabonda

10. Re: Car rental firm in sicilly with a GPS, help pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16