We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily in April 2014 - getting around

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sicily in April 2014 - getting around

Hi all (especially Vagabonda if you're still active!),

Myself and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Sicily in mid April (Sat 12th - Sun 20th) flying to and from Palermo airport. We plan to stay in the west as we fly into Palermo and had planned to get a lot done, visiting Zingaro Nature Reserve, San Vito La Copa, Erice, Trapani, Egadi Islands, Marsla, Segasta, Celafu and Palermo itself.

This is all well and good but looking in to car hire it seems that it is incredibly expensive if you go with one of the main companies - and from reading previous forum posts I understand that this is important due to the bad reputation of companies like Sicily by Car/Auto Europa / Thrift / Sixt etc. I have looked on the interbus website to see what buses are like but it seems that it has no information for these dates - is this because they don't run during Easter?

Any help, recommendations or advice would be most welcome. Hiring a car seems like the best plan but once you add in all the zero excess etc that I have read is needed it ends up costing more than the flights out there.

Many thanks

Josh

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily in April 2014 - getting around

I think we have decided that car hire is not for us and have therefore changed our plans to the below. Again your thoughts on this would be appreciated in particular the issue of buses that I mentioned above and also whether it will be possible to go directly from Palermo airport at around 5pm on Saturday 12th to Trapani by bus?

Itinerary

12th - arrive in Palermo 4pm - bus to Trapani (stay 5 nights with various day trips)

13 - explore Trapani

14 - Erice day trip (funicular)

15 - Egadi day trip

16 - Segasta or wine region day trip

17 - bus to Palermo (stay in Palermo three nights with day trips)

18 - Celafu

19 - Palermo and surrounding area

20 - flight back to UK

Does this sound doable, sensible etc?

Thanks again

Josh

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily in April 2014 - getting around

I rented an automatic transmission car in Feb 2010 fron the Palermo airport through Autoeurope UK (Autoeurope and Autoeuropa are 2 differnt companies) for 466 British pounds whcih now is $768 for 2 weeks. This was signifcantly cheaper than anypace else that I got a quote from. Our car did come from Sicily by Car but we did not have any problems.

3. Re: Sicily in April 2014 - getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:17