We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from naples to Taormina

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train from naples to Taormina

Can someone explain which train I should book. I see an intercity train is non change and cost 47€ and takes 6:44. A train using several changes frecciianianca, traghetto, Urbana, regionale takes less time and cost more. 6:36 65€. How do they differ and which one should I take.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

The first is a direct train, while the second is a conbination of train (the Frecciabianca to Villa S. Giovanni) + ferry + short walk to Messina Centrale station + regional train to Taormina. It takes less, but it's much more hussle mainly if you have luggage.

You could also fly to Catania and take a bus from the airport to Taormina.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

If you take the DIRECT Intercity train, you may be able to find SUPER ECONOMY fares as low as 19 or 29 Euros (non-refundable and non-changeable). That's a very good deal.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

Thank you both for the explanation, so will these intercity trains be nice and will they have options of class. Also do I stay on the train when it loads on the ferry over the messina strait? Another confusing point...what is the difference between messina centrele and messina marittime? I noticed trenetilla is offering a two for one special on Saturdays so I will make use of that and do the intercity ....if it is comfortable! Thoughts ?? Appreciate your help!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

You are welcome. During the crossing, you can either stay on the train or go out in the ferry and enjoy the view of the strait. The crossing takes 20/25 minutes. Messina Marittima and Messina Centrale are the two stations in Messina, the first is only for ferries and hydrofoils (trains coming from the mainland pass without stopping), the second for trains. They are close to each other, basically a single station.

On Intercity trains you have first and second class. Intercity trains are not "nice" and "comfortable" as high-speed trains are. Newly refurbished trains are fine, the others are acceptable.... Even though seats are reserved, they are sometimes overcrowded both with people and luggage. For a more comfortable journey, book first class.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 07:52
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

Only one of the two daily intercity trains has first class railcars. The other has only second class. The two for one special for Saturday travel only is a good promotion fare, BUT you can save even more money with the SUPER ECONOMY fare for both passengers. When crossing the Straits of Messina, it's nice to be able to leave your railcar and walk upstairs to the promenade deck and observe the crossing. However, it you do so, it's very important to ask the train personnel to LOCK your seat compartment so that your luggage in the compartment will be relatively safe. Otherwise, nobody will be looking out to stop potential thieves from entering the compartment and stealing the luggage. When I crossed the Straits on this train, I asked the train agent to LOCK the compartment, and this was a common request amongst passengers. Be aware that some of the Intercity railcars may be old and not well maintained. The level of service is definitely well below that of the faster and more modern Frecciarossa/Frecciargento trains. However, you can get to Taormina for a very low fare on the Intercity, as low as 19 Euros.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

Once again thank you for your help, I neglected to mention that this journey will be in August. The routes are not posted on trenetilla as of yet, are you familiar as to how far in advance I can purchase tickets?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

Perhaps reconsider taking the train in August!!

tripadvisor.com/…52291094

Vagabonda

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

Vagabonda thank you for your input. I am considering flying but have heard horror stories of luggage size issues etc with easyjet...wasn't sure I wanted to deal with that either. Also found a much cheaper Hertz car rental from Taormina than catania airport for the stay while in sicily. Since you are the Sicily expert perhaps you can attach some past posts of itineraries of what to see as I am just starting to plan our trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,251 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

Prego iloveitaly1212,

Have you already booked your airline tickets?

Ideally you would book a single straight-through transatlantic (one itinerary) ticket to Sicily.

You could fly Alitalia from Naples to Sicily. Book on the Italian site for the lowest Promo fares.

Save Money By Booking Alitalia Flights “Like a Local”:

roninrome.com/transportation/booking-alitali…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from naples to Taormina

It would be fine to hire the car in Taormina.

You wouldn't require a car during your time in Taormina, and you could hire the car when departing Taormina.

If you were to arrive at the airport, Etna Trasporti runs direct bus service from the airport to Taormina, or you could hire a transfer.

Vagabonda