We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catania airport

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Catania airport

I have just read a hotel review in which the poster mentioned that Catania airport was the worst they had experienced and needed to get their act together. I realise all airports have problems and bad days and am not worrying but just wondered if there was anything in particular or specific to Catania to be prepared for or to consider when flying in and out?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catania airport

Welcome to Sicily WittasIsland!

There's nothing in particular, or atypical for Sicily!

airlinequality.com/Airports/…cta.htm

Vagabonda

Edited: 02 May 2014, 12:12
Witney, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catania airport

Grazie, Vagabonda!

I have travelled to mainland Italy several times but not Sicily before...nothing out of the ordinary then :)

(I have a return flight at 11am and have a private transfer from the hotel in Taormina at 8am. Does that sound a normal time allowance to get to the airport and through procedures?)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Catania airport

Prego WittasIsland,

No nothing out of the ordinary. Just set your expectations accordingly.

You should always check with your carrier, because airlines have different terms and conditions for bag drop desk closures, and different check-in desk and gate closure times.

Less time is required for domestic flights, but if flying internationally, you might require more time.

Locals will tell you to arrive and hour prior.

Airport Information will tell you to arrive two hours prior.

The airlines would generally tell you to arrive 1-1,5-hours prior.

Vagabonda

Lausanne...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Catania airport

I suggest at least 2 hours. In my case, 1h30 proved to be too little and I lost my flight. This was in the morning rush on a Sunday in August, so it might be better at other times. But yes, this was by far the most disorderly airport I ever experienced, with long queues, security gates closed during busy hours and a lot of people cutting queues.

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catania airport

Sorry that you lost your flight. We did make ours but did have to stand in merging queues when called to the gate, waiting for the passport control officers to turn up. This was mid morning - guess they take their coffee breaks seriously? No, not the most efficient airport...

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catania airport

Be prepared for big cues and delays. ON departure board they had counter 37 and 38 for checking to Rome

The guy at 38 says go to 37 so everyone lines up at 37 . He leaves and another opens 38 leaving people at 37 waiting whilst the end of que get checked in @ 38. Pointless complaining as nothing changes Airport is understaffed and too small for the amount of passengers. I will be avoiding departures from this airport as probably quicker by train that waiting for hours in que at Catania

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catania airport

Also flight was then delayed by 3 hours . Plane had not arrived at 16.55 yet the departure time still showed 16.55 Plane departed at 18.30 some 3 hours delayed

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catania airport

I can confirm the posts no 4 and 6. Besides other potential problems, the most striking feature of Catania airport are the long lines at the security checkpoints, which I have never experienced even in much larger airports.

Wednesday, August 27, at 5pm (when there were large crowds because the return from holidays) only five security checkpoints were open (out of ten, if I remember correctly), then the lines for them widely invaded the check-in area .

The most impressive side is that these problems occur despite the new Catania airport was opened recently (2007). Malfunction of many security gates? Staff shortages? I am not able to state on this, I can only report the problem

Brun066

Edited: 30 August 2014, 10:00
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Catania airport

Weekends and August are busy periods, especially the return from the holiday period.

Unfortunately there are long lines at Malpensa and FCO as well. Catania is disorganised, but long lines and delayed flights are not specific to Catania.

Vagabonda

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Catania airport

I am quite surprised by some comments. I fly out of and to Catania at least once a month For sure Catania airport is not the most organised airport, but I don't think that overall it's much worse than other airports. Queuing times are acceptable, some delays early in the morning or on Sundays. There was a period about two years ago when there were huge queues on Sundays/Public Holidays mornings, but that happens everywhere. Last week I had to queue about one hour at Gatwick just to drop my luggage (it never happened to me in Catania)

True that security gates are never all open, but most of them usually are.

Real problems are for me the lack of adequate seating facilities, not clean toilets, shops open late in the morning. Good things: gates are always displayed much in advance, delivery time of the luggage.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 13:31