We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary

Belfast, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
itinerary

We are going to spend ten days in Sicily from 4th to 15th September . Any tips on itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Regards Colin

Belfast, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary

Also any romantic spots to explore

England
Level Contributor
328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary

Hi,

It would help if you were a little more specific. What would you like to see and do; relax, beaches, architecture, history volcanoes etc? Also, where will you be flying into and out of, and will you have a car?

There are lots of itinerary's on here, so take a look at those also?

Cheers

Belfast, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary

I will be flying into Palermo and out of Palermo . I would like to explore towns with history, museums etc. Also keen to experience good food. Might also do a day on a beach maybe. I will have a car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary

Welcome to Sicily Farmboy2014!

Sicily is a 2-week destination, so with only 10 days, you won't be able to circle Sicily.

Perhaps optimise your time by spending by staying in Western Sicily.

Western Sicily offers historical and archaeological sites, as well as museums, phenomenal beaches, and delicious local cuisine.

tripadvisor.com/…58161048

tripadvisor.com/…57816782

But if you'd like to include Eastern Sicily, Siracusa is an historical destination, and Siracusa's historic centre on Ortigia (island) is beautiful and romantic.

Taormina is also very beautiful and romantic. The Teatro Graco is Taormina's top attraction.

If you decide to include Eastern Sicily, then begin in Eastern Sicily, and end in Western Sicily to position for your departing flight from Palermo.

And if you decide to spend time in Palermo, return the car prior to your arrival or park at the airport, but avoid driving in Palermo.

Zingaro is a romantically beautiful coast in Western Sicily, and the Egadi Islands as well.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary

You might also consider the Aeolian Islands!

There's direct hydrofoil (no cars) service from Palermo to the Aeolians until 10 September.

Then you could return to Sicily and see Taormina, hire the car, and see Siracusa and Agrigento on your way back to the airport in Palermo.

Vagabonda

Belfast, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary

I want to stay in Agrigento city after spending some days in the country, which we have already booked. I wanted somewhere central in Agrigento, close to restaurants and locals sights, however somewhere a little special or different. Any ideas for the hotel?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary

Agrigento town is really low on attractions, and it's more B&B than hotel, but for something special, http://www.antichicatoi.com/

Vagabonda

Belfast, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary

Thanks love it. What about Palermo . We are wanting to spend our last two nights in Palermo or surrounding area so we can leave from the airport. We will have a car. Do you know anywhere slightly different? We will be leaving cefalu and heading to Palermo for 2 nights prior to departure .

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary

Really avoid driving in Palermo, so either return the car prior to arriving in Palermo, or base outside Palermo. The airport is located west of the city.

Have you considered Palazzo Montevago?

http://www.palazzomontevago.it/

Vagabonda

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary

Vagabonda

I would like some advice on driving in Sicily. We are planning a 7-8 day trip to Sicily and are planning on being based in Palermo for 4 days to cover the east side (Erice, Trapani, Segesta & Agrigento) and thereafter make either Catania or Siracusa as the base to cover the West side (Mt. Etna Taormina, Enna, Ragusa etc).

I was planning on hiring a car in Palermo from Day 3 onwards to drive to Erice, Trapani, Segesta & Agrigento as day trips and return to Palermo for the night (will book a hotel with parking facilities) and then drive to Catania or Siracusa as the base and do day trips to Taormina, Enna, Ragusa etc.

We like to stop in little towns or villages on routes and enjoy the flexibility of a car.

My questions are:-

1. Is hiring a car a good option or do you think the above can be covered by public transport?

2. I have seen various sites that do not recommend driving in Sicily, as the sites claim that the local drivers can be dangerous and reckless. (I am from Singapore and drive on the left, but also have experience of driving in Mumbai), is there any truth to this. I read similar stories about Italy in general but in my experience, I have not found Italian drivers any better or worse off from other developed countries.

3. Would you have any suggestion with regards to getting around in Sicily, better to hire a car or given the trouble it might entail stick with public transport?

Appreciate your insight here. Thank you.