We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rent / public transportation

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car rent / public transportation

We're 6 persons flying to Catania in a few days and we still haven't booked our cars. We need to go to Palermo the same day.

I saw Vagabonda's recommendations on Car Rental companies and we're thinking the same, but I have some questions on my mind:

1. All the Car Rental companies require CREDIT cards for the deposits. Nobody from us 6 has a credit card, but Debit Cards only. Is there any way we can rent a car in Catania Airport with a Debit Card or cash?

2. If we take all the Super insurances which will offer Excess 0, would we also be required to give a deposit?

3. In case we won't be able to rent the cars because of the lack of a Credit Card, is there any late Public Transportation (train, bus) which we can take from Catania to Palermo? We arrive at 18:00 in Catania Airport and we need to go directly to Palermo.

I would much appreciate your advice!

Thank you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rent / public transportation

Welcome to Sicily mansson_preacher!

You wouldn't want a car in Catania or Palermo.

Take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus from Aeroporto Catania to Palermo, and arrive in Palermo in two and a half hours.

http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm

Car Hire Pozzallo, Sicily to Trapani:

tripadvisor.com/…49820812

Vagabonda

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rent / public transportation

Thank you, Vagabonda.

We will be visiting more than Catania and Palermo and we want mobility. We're actually staying longer than 5 days, but we plan to return the car earlier and visit Catania without it.

May be it's worth thinking to take the direct bus to Palermo and rent the car there for just a day or two (unless it is more expensive to buy the bus tickets then to share the car rental costs among us).

Thank you for the "Pozallo" link where I saw that it is possible to pick up the car without a credit card sometimes . I think it would be reasonable not to book it online, but to check with the rental companies upon arrival in Catania Airport (if there will be any more cars left :) ).

One more questions: do you know if we can rent scooters in Palermo and Catania?

Thanks again.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 13:46
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rent / public transportation

Prego mansson_preacher,

Use public transport in the cities, and hire the car during your time outside the cities. Beginning and ending with Palermo and Catania is perfect, so hire the car mid-itinerary.

A car is nothing but a nuisance in Palermo and parking is challenging.

When are you arriving?

Check with rental companies prior to your arrival, especially if you plan to arrive during peak season.

You can rent scooters, but even scooters are not the best way to see the cities, and you can't drive the scooters on the motorways.

tripadvisor.com/…52084589

Vagabonda

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rent / public transportation

We're arriving this (MAy 22) Thursday evening (around 18:00), and we have our accommodation booked in Palermo.

I think the best idea is to put the car rental issue on hold until we arrive in the airport and then we will see which method of transportation we use. If there won't be any cars left, than the Bus is what was meant to be :).

Thanks again for your expert advice!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rent / public transportation

Perhaps check about parking at your accommodation in Palermo!

Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda

6. Re: Car rent / public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:25