We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

Hi

I'm arriving in Palermo airport on Monday June 16 at noon and then heading to Taormina but I don't know how! I am travelling with a friend. Neither of us want to rent a car so we will be relying on buses/trains. Please give me all your advice. At the moment I think that the choice is between Palermo- Catania-Taormina or Palermo- Messina -Taormina. Please let me know the pros and cons of any available options.

Thanks!!

T

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

Welcome to Sicily TeeC74!

Never take the train on this route.

Take the Prestia e Comandè bus from Palermo’s airport to Palermo.

http://www.prestiaecomande.it/

Click on “Aereoporto Falcone Borsellino – Palermo”:

www.prestiaecomande.it/…

Take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus service from Palermo to Aeroporto Catania. Always travel via Catania, since there is faster and more frequent service to taormina from Catania than from Messina.

http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm

It’s advantageous and convenient to arrive in Taormina by bus.

Take Etna Trasporti Interbus from Aeroporto Catania onward to Taormina.

http://www.etnatrasporti.it/

Etna Trasporti Interbus conveniently arrives directly in Taormina.

Taormina's bus station is located near Porta Messina on via Luigi Pirandello across from the funivia station.

planetware.com/map/taormina-map-i-taor.htm

hotelvillaparadisotaormina.com/files/villa-p…

gotaormina.com/en/…public_transport.html

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply! We will leave Taormina on June 20 to spend 2 nights in Cefalu and then head to Palermo for the last 4 days of out vacation. How do you recommend travelling from Taormina to Cefalu? Also is the train for Cefalu to Palermo the best means of transport or should we get a direct bus - we leave Cefalu on Sunday afternoon.

Grazie mille!

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

From Taormina you could take Interbus to Messina (around 01h45)

www.interbus.it

And then take the train from Messina to Cefalù, 2-2,5 hours.

The SAIS direct bus service between Cefalù and Palermo is very limited on sundays (only 1 daily bus, in the afternoon, 16,45)), so the train schedule could perhaps be more convenient.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

You could take Trenitalia from Taormina to Cefalù, or you could take Interbus from Taormina to Messina, and then Trenitalia from Messina to Cefalù.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

http://www.interbus.it/

Train service between Taormina and Cefalù connects via Messina, and requires transport from Taormina down to the Taormina-Giardini train station.

Taormina shares its train station with Giardini-Naxos. The Taormina-Giardini train station is located below Taormina on the coast near Giardini-Naxos, and would require Interbus, Taormina’s ASM “Linea Verde” trasporto urbano service, a hotel shuttle service, or a taxi (€15) up to town.

Bus and train service between Taormina and Cefalù requires a connection in Messina at Messina’s train and bus stations both located at piazza della Repubblica (Piazza della Stazione).

tuttocitta.it/mappa/…piazza-della-repubblica

tuttocitta.it/mappa/messina/piazza-stazione

planetware.com/map/messina-map-i-mess_c.htm

If you were to take Interbus from Taormina to Messina, you would then then take the train from Messina to Cefalù.

Note that there’s infrequent autostrada bus service between Taormina and Messina, and the bus drive via the coastal towns can be slow driving. Also note that trains are often delayed.

And as biondo has indicated, take the train from Cefalù to Palermo, and then the Prestia e Comandè bus from Palermo to the airport.

Vagabonda

5. Re: Palermo airport to Taormina by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:17