We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Automatic car rental

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Automatic car rental

Hi there,

My friend and I are trying to book a rental car for 11 days with a pickup in Palermo and drop off in Bari, but trying to find an affordable automatic car seems near impossible.

My friend can drive a manual car, but I am not that confident, especially not when driving overseas/the other side of the road.

Does anyone out there have any company suggestions?

Thanks muchly!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Automatic car rental

I rented an automatic car through Autoeurope UK in Feb 2010. It was 466 British pounds for 14 days. I picked it up at the Palermo airport and dropped it off there. That was the cheapest rate I got.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,795 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Automatic car rental

Automatic transmissions are scarce (and expensive) but can be found, especially at the airports (Catania and Palermo) and tourist areas like Taormina.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,795 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Automatic car rental

Perhaps take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus from Palermo to Catania's airport, and hire the car at Catania's airport.

Contact Auto Europe UK and hire from an internationally known supplier like Hertz or Europcar.

Vagabonda

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Automatic car rental

Although I haven't rented in Italy, it's not uncommon to find that the automatic ordered didn't show up in time to be rented to you. I would stick with a high-end company in the hope of avoiding this. (They drive on the right in Italy.)

I would also think there's a premium to be paid for taking a car off a large island and not bringing it back, but I've certainly never rented on Sicily. But that can even be true on Manhattan, NYC!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,795 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Automatic car rental

That's why you would contact a reputable broker like Auto Europe.

tripadvisor.com/…34781108

And of course the same supplier must be located at Catania's airport and Bari, so that eliminates local suppliers.

Vagabonda

UK
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Automatic car rental

We booked direct with Avis UK by phone for our rental pick up and drop at Catania airport. They give a number of discounts so do ask. On collection we were offered a variety of models including an automatic, for a supplement, which we declined.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,795 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Automatic car rental

Although Avis isn't listed on the airport website, Avis has a location at the airport as well.

www.aeroporto.catania.it/page.php…

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/location/EUR/IT/Catania%2C+Sicily

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Automatic car rental

Thanks very much for the help, everyone!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,795 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Automatic car rental

Prego Jo-G84,

Really avoid driving in Palermo, and since Palermo's airport is located in the opposite direction west of the city, the airport in cCatania is the most logical point to hire an automatic transmission.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

10. Re: Automatic car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:16