We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where next!

Drogheda
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where next!

Hey everyone

So me and my partner went to Sicily last year and fell in love with the island :)

We flew into Palermo and spent a couple of days there, then travelled to Catania and Taormina.

We are definitely going back!! But it don't know where to go!

Now that Ryanair fly into Comiso we have even more options and have no idea where to start. We love history, beautiful sites, an occasional beach day- and wine! But we do need to keep a tight budget in mind...

Does anyone have a suggestion? I've been looking at Trapani & the Egodi Islands, Millazzo, Messina and Aeolian islands, Noto and Siracusa?! I think we will go in mid September, and if I get brave I might(!!) rent a car.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Julie

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where next!

Comiso airport is close to Noto and Siracusa. If you are interested on Aeolina islands, Messina and Milazzo then Catania airport is closer. Ryanair flies to catania as well.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where next!

Take the flight to Comiso and enjoy Ragusa province, the UNESCO Val di Noto towns, the coastal villages, and Siracusa and Noto!

tripadvisor.com/…59423150

Vagabonda

3. Re: Where next!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 16:08
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where next!

Hi Julie!

We are currently in Palermo at the moment, travelling around Sicily.

We flew into Trapani and booked one night in Trapani and two in Erice, then onto Palermo.

We chose to stay for this amount of time based on reviews on trip advisor - however I wish we had spent more time in Trapani and maybe just a day trip to Erice.

Trapani is a gorgeous place, filled with beautiful streets, lovely buildings and an amazing atmosphere at night. We also found that Trapani was a great base to get to other cities and the Egadi Islands.

We took a day trip by ferry (Ustica Lines - 18 Euros p/p return) to Favagnana Island and hired bikes for the day (5 Euros p/p) and rode right around the East side of the Island, stopping at the gorgeous beaches along the way.

There are also buses to San Vito Lo Capo from Trapani.

We stayed in 'Ciuri Home' which was in a great location, clean and shared a bathroom (only with one other room) which made it quite a lot cheaper (we are also on a tight budget). The staff here were amazing and helped us out a lot with sightseeing options/timetables etc...

We flew into Trapani with RyanAir and I would definitely recommend visiting, as I found it to be a beautiful place with a lot of options for eating/drinking/travel to other cities etc..

Good luck with your planning and have an amazing time!

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where next!

Thanks a lot for reporting back TravellingTTs!

Yes, Trapani is really the best base in the area.

ireland
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where next!

Hi Mejulie

Just home from 2 week great coastal jaunt clockwise - into Comiso home from Palermo.

Comiso is a great little airport - you get through it so quickly. No fuss no crowds just on your way.Not as connected to public to public transport as Catania and Palermo so your preferences on destinations / centres may inform choice on hire car or not.In our case we did and broadly did not regret it. It allowed us to stay in places outside of town centres, gave us more control over our itinerary,and let us visit slightly out of the way places at times which suited us.I say broadly only because we hired a fiat panda which though fine was a bit asmathic on some of the hilly terrain in the Val do Noto. Of the Baroque towns italia.it/en/travel-ideas/unesco-world-herit… we really liked Noto and also Ragusa Ilba.We didn't go to Siracusa on this trip but would recommend it also. We found Moidica and Scicli interesting but a bit grittier. As you have an interest in history you won't run short of it in this area. Between hire fuel parking and excess insurance a car will cost at least €500 for 2 weeks making public transport attractive as long as its restriction fit in with your plans. There is a train line connecting most of these towns. I looks an appealing way to get around but I have seen Vagabonda describe the service as shoddy on other threads. If you wish to visit the many beaches in the area I would recommend what the locals call 'wild' ones rather than the more formal lidos. We like lidos but did not find any really appealing ones in mid June. As Vagabonda also advises on other threads you will appreciate a car for beach visits.

We stayed 5 nights outside Modica, possibly one more than we would if planning again. We drove to Selinunte for 3 nights,moved to Scopello for a planned 4 nights which turned into one due to a serious brush fire,but that's for another post,and finally 5 nights in Palermo which was the unexpected highlight of our trip.

7. Re: Where next!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17