We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sept/october itinerary

California
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
sept/october itinerary

Hi Vagabonda: i would like to present my itinerary and ask a few questions:

9/29 - arrive Catania, take bus to Syracusa

9/29-10/1 Syracusa/Ortygia - 3 nights La Via della Guidecca

--hire car 10/2

10/2 drive to Noto, Scicli

10/2 - Scicli - 1 night Hotel Novecento

10/3 - drive to Ragusa

10/3 - Ragusa/2 nights Hotel Dell'Orologio

10/4 - Ragusa, Caltigirone

10/5 drive to Agrigento

10/5 - Agrigento & Valley of the Temples/1 night B&B Liola

10/6 - drive to Selinunte and then to Erice/2 nights at Erice Pietre Antiche

10/8 - drive to Segesta, Scopello

10/8 - Scopello/3 nights Pensione Tranchina (with a day in Zingaro)

10/11 - drive to Palermo airport/drop off rental car & be picked up by hotel transfer

10/11-10/13 - Palermo/3 nights B&B La Bella Vita

10/14 - taken to Palermo Airport/Aitalia to Rome to Bari to Matera (ugh)

10/14 - 10/16 Matera/3 nights Sassolino B&B

10/17 - bus from Matera to Naples

10/17 - 10/19 - Naples/3 nights B&B Orsini 46 (perhaps day trip to Pompeii)

10/20 - fly home

So, that's the overall route & picture of our trip! We have 5 destinations that are 3 nights, 2 destinations that are 2 nights and two destinations that are 1 night ea. At the moment, my concerns are technical, which is not my strong suit--i.e., how to use GPS and what type of cell phone. I have downloaded prints of google map directions to my destinations and have a Sicilia map #365. Should we also get GPS? I've never used one here at home....or is there something else you would suggest that we download as an app on a cell phone? What type of cell phone is suggested and is there anything i should know that's peculiar to international stuff....oh..do you think i need to pre-book bus from Matera to Naples? thank you so much Vagabonda and anyone else who offers advice. I shall be back I'm sure!

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Noto
Noto
Sicily, Italy
Scicli
Scicli
1,382 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Hotel Novecento
Hotel Novecento
379 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Hotel dell'Orologio
Hotel dell'Orologio
337 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Selinunte
Selinunte
693 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Le Pietre
Le Pietre
274 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
Zingaro Hotel
Zingaro Hotel
207 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Matera
Matera
Province of Matera, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Caffe Sicilia
Caffe Sicilia
2,244 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sept/october itinerary

Hi Chester9cat,

You've selected lovely accommodations, and you'll appreciate that you're clustering 2-3 night stays at each destination, since 1-night stays aren't efficient use of time.

Since there's no left luggage storage in Noto, perhaps visit Noto as a day trip in the evening from Siracusa, and then drive directly from Siracusa to Scicli. Sunset is gorgeous in Noto when the light shines on the golden architecture.

You could base in either Scicli or Ragusa without changing accommodations for just one night, since these towns are near each other, but as discussed earlier, you would like to experience both towns with overnight stays.

Caltagirone closes during the midday, so plan to arrive in the morning prior to the midday closing, or arrive after the midday closing. You could also combine a visit to Caltagirone with a visit to Piazza Armerina, and the Villa Romana del Casale.

You could drive from Ragusa via Gela to Piazza Armerina, and return via Caltagirone and Chiaramonte Gulfi, or vice versa.

Note that the SS124 from Caltagirone is scenic, but slow driving!

B&B Liola in Agrigento is located near Agrigento's Duomo. Secure detailed directions from the B&B to avoid the ZTL in Agrigento. The B&B is located uphill from where you would enter Agrigento's historic centre. It may not feel uphill if you're driving, but it surely feels uphill if you're walking.

There is no left luggage storage in Selinunte. Have everything you would need within the car so it would appear that you were day tripping from a nearby hotel with your luggage stored at the hotel.

There are left luggage storage lockers at the train station in Agrigento, so you could see Agrigento on your way to an overnight in Selinunte.

Pietre Antiche Appartamenti is lovely, and Massimo is very helpful.

Perhaps visit Segesta from Erice or Scopello, because once again there's no left luggage storage at Segesta.

Scopello is a seasonal destination, and so depending on the weather, Scopello could be very quiet in October. Fortunately the past two Octobers were mild, but there's never any guarantees with weather. Seasonal towns are very different during peak season and during low season.

But Pensione Tranchina is a gem, and you'll enjoy the opportunity to stay with a family rooted in this town.

B&B La Bella Vita is so conveniently located near Politeama in Palermo, another excellent B&B choice.

And Matera is another gem as well!

Miccolis and Marino run direct bus service between Matera and Naples. Bus schedules will update prior to your visit in October, so perhaps check schedule before deciding anything about booking in advance.

www.miccolis-spa.it/le-nostre-linee/statali

http://www.marinobus.it/

If 'technical' isn't your strong suit, and you don't use GPS at home, then perhaps Sicily isn't the place to begin, especially since GPS isn't always reliable in Sicily, but only you can judge your level of confidence here!

The Sicilia: TCI.R14 Regional Road Map (ISBN 13: 9788836548279), and Michelin Sicilia #365 (ISBN 13: 9782067126749) are both 1:200.000 scaled, and excellent maps.

TIM offers the most extensive coverage.

http://www.tim.it/assistenza

Well you've accomplished everything you've set out to accomplish Chester9cat - Auguri!!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Noto
Noto
Sicily, Italy
Scicli
Scicli
1,382 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Ragusa
Ragusa
Sicily, Italy
Caltagirone
Caltagirone
Sicily, Italy
Piazza Armerina
Piazza Armerina
601 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Gela
Gela
Sicily, Italy
Chiaramonte Gulfi
Chiaramonte Gulfi
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Duomo
Duomo
1,053 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Selinunte
Selinunte
693 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Pietre Antiche Appartamenti
Pietre Antiche...
276 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
Pensione Tranchina Scopello
Pensione Tranchina...
465 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Matera
Matera
Province of Matera, Italy
Naples
Naples
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Caffe Sicilia
Caffe Sicilia
2,244 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
California
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sept/october itinerary

oh, thank you ... mille grazie, vagabonda. i just read through your reply and will study it in-depth but wished to let you know how much i appreciate your thoughtful reassurance, guidance and advice. It is so helpful...until another post....

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sept/october itinerary

It's been a pleasure sharing in your planning for your very special holiday Chester9cat!

All the best to you!

Vagabonda

California
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sept/october itinerary

hi vagabonda: i have taken your suggestion re: visiting the Temples in Agrigento and then heading for an overnight in Selinunte. This way we don't have to worry so much about luggage when day-tripping to Selinunte and also the ZTLs on the hill in Agrigento. So I just booked with B&B Terrazzo di Venere as it looked nice, close to the ruins and easier to get to. Would you agree? thanks! c

Mentioned in this post
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Selinunte
Selinunte
693 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,889 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sept/october itinerary

Hi Chester9cat,

Yes, I would agree! You want to be able to enjoy Selinunte without concerns about your luggage.

You could walk to the temples and Marinella is a a colourful fishing village.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Selinunte
Selinunte
693 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
California
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sept/october itinerary

mille grazie, Vagabonda.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,889 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sept/october itinerary

Prego Chester9cat,

Here's what to expect at Agrigento's train station for the left luggage storage lockers. At 1.23.

videoup.net/v/…

The best -

Vagabonda

8. Re: sept/october itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:15